Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass UDP through Serial Int or WAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimpa1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
We changed our router from 3640 to 3845.
The configs are similar. However, NetRC (similar to remote desktop) does not fully function through the WAN (T1). When I use NetRC to poll the pcs on the remote network, it only show up to have 27 hosts, which there should be over 100. If I tell my guys to poll locally from their network they see all 100. NetRC uses udp 1505. So going through the WAN is where I have problems.
There is no access-list or firewall between the 2 remote sites.

My question is that, are there any commands that I need in the cisco router to pass udp traffic on the serial interface or WAN? (ip helper address is on the ethernet already, putting it on the serial didn't help).

Thanks,
Dimpal

What's the WAN connectivity? remember that UDP is a "fire-and-forget" protocol, so what may be fine on a 100bT or 1000bT LAN subnet may be way too much traffic to get through a fractional T1 (especially if there's 100 workstations).

Since you got 27, it's obviously passing some UDP, but not enough. I don't know enough to help you find a way to fix it though -- hopefully someone else will.

Is there any difference if you do this in peak hours and in non-peak hours? What's the latency on the T1 during peak hours and non-peak hours?

Thanks for the response. It turned out to be a PC issue, which I sort of knew all along, but didnt have proof, until I had to fix someone elses problem for them, which they blamed on my WAN!

Ok, I have found out that on Windows Firewall, for NetRC, the scope is set to allow “my network only”. Hence, you cannot see the remote PCs. So some kind of update on the PCs changed this setting.

To fix the problem all PCs needed:
Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > NetRC > edit > Change scope > Any computer or Custom list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back