Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass Field Name as Drill Down Parameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenspanDan

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
US
Hello,

I'm looking to pass the field name as a parameter on a drill down report. basically i want to create a report where you can click on any of the columns and have it sort on that column. i'm using a variable called "SORT" to figure out what column the user selected, along with a line that says "BY &SORT NOPRINT". each column header then just drills-down to the same report with a new "SORT" value. it actually works, but the code is very cumbersome, and considering i have many similar reports to create, i was wondering if there's an easier way.

currently, i'm hand-coding the following for each column in the report:

TYPE=TITLE,
COLUMN=N1
CLASS=chartHeading,
FOCEXEC=FEX_NAME(SORT='COL_1'),
$

but since each of my reports has about 20 columns, the fex has 20 lines like this. it seems unnecessary. is there a way to do that with a single line something like:

TYPE=TITLE,
CLASS=chartHeading,
FOCEXEC=FEX_NAME(SORT='[some variable for the name of the current column]'),
$

if there is, it would sure save me a lot of time, and be a much cleaner way of doing things.

What you are wanting to do is built into OLAP reports, is using OLAP an option for you?

That sounds like the answer. However, when i enable OLAP, it's not working properly. Each column header now displays the column label twice, along with a broken image, and the OLAP up/down sort icon. plus, the OLAP sort icon doesnt work, it generates javaScript errors when clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back