Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pass credentials to network share XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
I hope I can explain this correctly, here goes..

I have access to network shares on a file server, that if I browse via my network places, I can open, save to and modify the contents of the shares. I have full rights to the shares in question. Client is XP Pro, server Win2003, as file server.

However, and this is the problem, if I have a file, on the local machine, and I choose "save as" ( does not matter what program, Office, Photoshop, etc ) and I try to browse to the network share, the dialog box freezes and the program stops responding.

I recall at one time there was a modification or a setting change made that in XP that altered how credientials were passed. This was done to test a web site and server local site during developement. I believe the change was to force a login on accessing a share. Maybe someting that depended on the local account, not the machine, I am not sure. I cannot for the life of me find the setting, or what was changed.

Any ideas? Help !

Are you on a domain or are you using Windows credentials? Is the drive a mapped drive or are you just typing the address of the share like \\servername\sharefolder?

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Hi, this using windows credentials, drilling down to the folder, no mapping.

Odd bit also, you don't get asked to log in, the application just dies at the "save as" directory pop-up window.

Thanks

You did not mention it so, does it ask you for credentials when you navigate normally to the share or does it open directly?

What happens if you map the share to a drive? does the Save as work then?

Doe it happen with other shares or just that specific one?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

What does your event log say? Also i would recommend that you just use the (Start--Run--Cmd) Net use * \\PATH\ /USER:username

Just to make sure that you can get there in one piece.. then try to save to the mapped drive.

The event log only shows the "hung application" events. It happens with any program, not just Microsoft applications.

checked the links linney, thanks, still stuck.

When browsing to the share normally, I am not asked for user id / password.

Try Mapping it to a drive letter see if it works then.

It might be that the network browsing is taking too long to respond and the save as dialog just doesn't know what to do.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I think I tried that quite a while ago, not sure, but can do it again.

I am not sure if it is a time out thing. Pretty sure if I do it, I can immediately try to close the "save as" window and I will get a not responding notification.

If you logon to another machine with your Domain Username can you then get the Save As box to work from that other machine? In other words is this problem confined to your own computer or do you see it on any other machines?

Anything odd showing in Computer Management/ Shared Folders, when viewed from your machine?

Good point, should have stated this.. yes, any other machine on the same network can use my account to access and "save as" to the shares in question. It only occurs on the one machine.

I will check the folders and see if anthing looks odd.

I wonder if removing your machine from the Domain, rebooting and then rejoining might do something? Even removing it from the actual Server too?

Do try your machine from Safe Mode With Networking to see if some third party application, such as security programs, are causing the problem.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Ok, I'm back, had no access to the machine for a bit.

Tried mapping the drive, all works fine problem goes away, can "save as" in any program.

So that hopefully narrows it down.

I can't do a restore, it was ages ago that the change was made, were talking more than a year. Never noticed until recently, since doing a " save as " was not something I did on this particular machine very often.

Any ideas?

What if you remove your user from and disable sharing the folder you cannot save to and then enable sharing once more and add your username back in?

Sorry for the delay in returning. linney I tried that as a what the heck, but no dice. I have been racking my brain trying to remember the way the change was made, and all I can recall was that it was some trust setting, where you check a box that says something like " always ask for a password, and don't save or cache passwords"

Since it works as a mapped drive, I will give it up for now, maybe it will come back to me.

Perfect example of why I used to keep a strict log of all fiddling in my Win98 days. Ah well.

Thanks everyone, have a great day!!

There is a "Manage Passwords" section obtained via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. In the resulting window you will get to it via the Advanced tab.

See if there is anything mentioned in "Manage Passwords"?

Another thing you can look at is this -

306992 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Behavior of stored user names and passwords

Share-level mapped network drives are not connected after you restart your computer

I hope I can explain this correctly, here goes ..

We have mapped drive from Windows XP to network shares on a file server (2003). Created user with specific password, on the file server, provided access right on the shared folder and mapped the drive on the user computer manually. Now is there any possibilities that user can directly change their password on mapped drive (file server 2003) from their computer?

Any ideas? Help …

@ray436
I had almost the same problem as you except that if left long enough the programs would respond again. It was caused by redundant mappings in My Network Places and in the hidden Recent folders. I had to replace a server, and the old server was taken out. The new server had a different name. The programs were scanning MNP and Recent and checking the validity of the shortcuts in these folders. Because they did not exist, the valifity check went on and on and on... Removing the links solved the problem. However, you have to select the link to delete it - and when you do that, the link is checked...

@etaylor
No, you can't. Not unless you use something like Remote Desktop to connect to the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back