Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pass column2 from list box as query criteria??

Status
Not open for further replies.

accessilliterate

Technical User
Sep 30, 2001
GB
Hi gang,

I have a form in Access2001 we shall call frmOne and on it is a Listbox we shall call listOne. I want to pass the value (or information) from the 2nd column to a query but cant work out the correct syntax or where in the query to put it.
Can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

I have tried several methods including putting the following in the query criteria:
=[Forms]![frmOne]![listOne].Column(2)

But access just gives an invalid function error. Your help would be most appreciated.

With that code you are trying to return the whole column.

[Forms]![frm1]![lstOne].Column(2, [Forms![frm1]![lstOne].ListIndex)

This should return only the second column of the selected item (I don't have time to try it though)

Hi turtlemaster,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion but it did not work.
Access gives an "undefined function in expression" error - any more suggestions please ??

try hard coding it to return the first value only.

[Forms]![frm1]![lstOne].Column(2, 1)

I might have jsut screwed up the syntax. If that returns the first or second value then make it pull the selected value later.

For whatever reason a query will NOT let you refer to anythign but the "Bound" field in a Combo or List box
But by virtue of the Access Gods and my decree there is a workaround.

Put a new textbox on your form and in the On_click event of the combo box pass any column to the textbox (Make the textboxes .visible property False when it's done working)

On_click event ....
me!newtextbox = me!Combo1.column(2)

So then in your query you can refer to the new text box like normal
On_click event ....
me!netextbox = me!Combo1.column(2)

In query
=Forms![formname].form!Newtextbox
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search