Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner VS 5.0 - Anyone Ever Hear of This? Very Strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullspectrum

Vendor
Apr 20, 2004
US
I just troubleshot and fixed a problem on a Partner VS R5.0 that is the strangest one I've come across yet in my 10+ years of working on Partner systems. The user complained that when they went to x10's voicemail box and wanted to listen to an old message they would dial '0' to listen and they would all of a sudden hear the line ring and someone pick up on the other end (not in the building, this call is placed outside the system). The person on the other end got so annoyed the refused to talk to them. This happened every single time they checked an old message.

I couldn't believe it so I tried to duplicate the problem. I Dialed into ext 10's voicemail using intercom 777, 10#, password#, 2 to listen to messages, and then 0 to play the message. It happened exactly as they described, the line rang out to someone elses phone outside the system! I tried listening to a new message and it worked correctly. This only happened when listening to old messages and only after pressing '0' and it only happened on ext. 10's voicemail.

After rebooting the system, reseating the modules, and even moving the voicemail to a new slot on the carrier with no change in the problem I finally had to re-initialize the mailbox, loosing the messages they couldn't retrieve. This finally fixed the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Could someone have hacked the system and done this? I'm suspecting its a corrupt hard drive but I've never seen this before on any other system!

never heard anything like it, but was the other person internal or external that picked up the call?

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

External which was an even weirder part since this is an old Partner with no remote call forwarding capability and a 2 port card that shouldn't support outcalling.

delete the mailbox and then rebuild it

Ive never seen it either , does a line key light when the call is made ?

do you have a digit grabber to put on the line to see where the call is going ?

Do you suppose that the 1st old message in mailbox 10 was a recording of a phone call?

too late to check the digits now, the mailbox was critical to the customers operation so I reinitialized it. That fixed the problem. I never let the call complete since my customer was saying the person on the other end was very annoyed. It sounds like they had different results when they called so I don't see how it could have been recorded that way. Very strange though!

One more thing I remember is that there were new messages which I checked and then saved as old messages. When trying to play them back once they were old they did the same thing!

Sounds like some sort of back door access. Probably only know by Avaya. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back