Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner Voice Messaging PC Card Issues - Passwords becoming corrupt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrobe

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2004
US
One of the non-profits under my care has a ACS 308R4 with a Large Voice Messaging PC Card that is having a problem with the VM Module. Started in April, after an employee left the organization (not amicably). Shortly after a new employee started, I was notified that the new employee couldn't get logged into their voice mailbox (which had been working for a week or two), it was as if the password suddenly had changed. I remotely dialed-in and reset the password to their mailbox, and all was well. Until a month or so later, as a completely different employee had the same issue. Once again, I corrected the problem.

This happened a few more times since, until last week. The mailbox that started this mess has a bad password issue once again, this time as I try to call in, it is refusing my access to the 0 extension/admin password as well. So now it appears that whatever was causing the random problems, has finally affected the administrative account as well.

What to do? I only have three Partner systems under my care, and they have been "set it and forget it" for years. So I am far from being fresh on Partner programming, but I can usually figure out what needs done.

Is my VM Card on its way out, or is there a way to reformat it and fix this problem? If there is a way to reformat, what's the odds that this issue will be resolved and not come back in a few weeks/months? I would love to try this step first, but am worried about having an outage/downtime if it doesn't work out, and I have to purchase a used Large VM Card.

Should I be sourcing a replacement Large VM Card? (which is what I am leaning towards)

If replacing the card, rough idea of the steps I have to take to reset it back up the way I had it?

We have the AA answer all incoming calls, then transfer to one of eight extensions. While I don't want to spend any money unnecessarily, I don't want to interrupt normal phone operation because of trying to save them $300.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Tommy. Is this a somewhat common problem for the VM module? Any insight as to what cold be causing this to occur?

I've seen it at least 6 times this past year. Prior to that, no, not much problem at all.

I thought that may be a possibility when this happened the first time. Unlikely that person would know other extensions passwords. Or the admin password. Just to be sure, after the first issue, I reset the admin password, while I was on the VM system resetting another subscriber password.

Now that my admin password is saying login incorrect... I can't imagine how the terminated employee could be doing it.

I have a hard time believing that it could be this individual, but included the information above if there may indeed be a way that may have happened.

With a non-functioning admin password on the VM card, will I be able to access the VM admin account, when I am onsite?

As recommended I need to enter "9998925327" to default the system, but it seems that I will need to login to give this command. Is this correct?

I'm hoping to go onsite Thursday afternoon, so I want to research as much beforehand.

Unfortunately that is something my research was leading me towards. Is this something I can contact you about? I see your contact information, on the website link in your signature.

My thought is to default the voicemail first. If that does not resolve the problem...try looking at call logs via the SMDR to see if someone is calling in after hours and messing with the voicemail system.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

I'm thinking that the flash memory chips in the VMPC card might be coming to the end of their lifespan. I've seen a handful of these in the past year too. Typically, the password is the first thing to go, then the greetings.

Dan

Live every day as if wild dogs were chasing you!!
Wild dogs....everyday....LIVE!!!

UPDATE: I did receive the backdoor password, which didn't work remotely (and was a relief that it didn't as it would be a huge security hole). It did work onsite, and I was able to get things straightened up to return to working. I didn't default the voicemail, as I will probably wait for their Christmas break, where I will have more time to tinker. Still on the fence if I should source another use VM card or not. Will update this down the road.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back