Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner system changing time by 1 hour and 20 minutes. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescarty

Vendor
Sep 23, 2004
US
A local school recently switched service providers. During the cut over their partner system was powered down. Since restarting the system, every time they set the correct time the system changes it about 30 minutes later and each time the system is changing it by 1 hour and twenty minutes. I haven't seen this before. Any suggestions?

Incoming caller ID includes the time as part of the string. Set the clock to the correct time, receive a call from the new service provider, receive incorrect time, Partner system syncs to it, time is now incorrect on the phones.

Call the carrier and expect to not be understood and go through 3 or more levels of "support" before getting resolved. Last carrier wouldn't do anything until I referenced Bell Core Caller ID Specification which you can find here

Email from my customer this morning:

"FirstLight has fixed the time on the switch, but we're still having a problem with the time changing - they are asking if our PBX has an NTP Server set up? I'm assuming the answer is no, as it is not a VOIP system - and I assume we're getting the time from the CND system. They are also asking for a "packet capture" from the Tmark to the PBX, but again, since it's not VOIP, I assume we can't do that either...

One other thing - all our incoming calls say "Private" for Caller ID, which to me also indicates a problem with CND... "

Any thoughts?

FirstLight is not thinking through the situation. FirstLight is their ISP, and delivering the dial tone via an IAD, or router with FXS ports. Yes, it is SIP from FirstLight's servers to the premise, but it is ANALOG DIAL TONE from the handoff to the PBX.

Nothing the customer can do, FirstLight's "tech" needs to come on site with a butt set that displays CID and can break down the the messages, working with their internal support and possibly the router manufacturer to resolve.

Again, the information that they are sending for Caller ID between the 1st and 2nd rings includes the Month, Date, Hour, and Minute, and then either a flag to indicate Unavailable (number was not sent from originating CO), a flag to indicate Private (caller has CID Blocking on their line or has dialed *67 before placing the call), or the 10 digit telephone number. Proof would be to set the time correctly on the Partner, place a call from your cell, and observe the clock changing just after the first incoming ring is received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back