Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner PC modem connection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDiver

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2003
US
I was trying to connect to a Partner ACS Rel 6.85.J, same system I have connected to in past without a problem. I discovered (after much head banging) that one of my trusty, will always connect, modems had died. Grabbed another modem I had around, same model. Wouldn't connect. Checked firmware, and found a difference between the old one and the one I was trying to use. Couldn't find the proper files to flash the firmware. More head beating. I connected to a different Partner system (different version of ACS), no problem. Was the different version causing a problem? Sometimes I feel like Winnie The Pooh--think, think, think.

After a bit of thinking, I realized I had added a 308EC to the system since the last time I was able to connect. Pulled out everything except the ACS and surprise, surprise, surprise--no problem connecting. I didn't change the port the modem was connected to. Only difference was pulling everything but the ACS.

I am able to connect to a different system, with my modem dialing out from an extension on the system I can't connect to, with the problem cards in the system.

I have read plenty of threads about connecting and from what I recall the conclusion is that the modem is usually the problem. Could it be that a board in the Partner system can cause problems connecting? I would love to hear others thoughts on the matter. Anybody else found the same situation and solution in the past?

The system has the following cards, from left to right: 308EC (with FAX CNG), 206 R1.0 206, ACS 6.85.J (with FAX CNG).

Jeff

There is a thread on the forum somewhere covering this problem. It turns out it's not the modem, but another module if I recall correctly, and supposedly affected R7 & R8, not R6. So that is new... You might try searching the forum for it. If you have a spare 308EC, you might try changing it and see what happens.

....JIM....

Thanks to Sysquest and ttech!

I will try swapping the 308EC and 206 today, no spare 308's. I am able to make the swap since the site is only used for a couple months a year during cherry harvest.

I had thought the 308 should be in a slot before the 206. Perhaps that only applies if you are using the FAX CNG tones. I would like to use the FAX CNG tones in this system, as this would enable the FAX line to be used for voice calls as well. However that would mean I would have to install a ASA card or use some sort of Voice Messaging, as I understand it.

I will post a note in the linked thread that this also applies to the R6.85.J.

I wonder if Avaya has posted a solution to this, or if they are going to let it slide given the Partner's expected future?

I plead guilty to not searching before I post. I thought this was just another modem won't connect issue. This thread has taught me to always search before posting.

Thanks a million for all the knowledge on this board.

Jeff

I was Googling the web to see if Avaya had addressed this issue, and I found a thread I had started about the same issue on 9/5/09. I am so embarrassed.

I didn't solve the issue back when I posted the thread, I probably just gave up and pulled the card back out, returned to the prior configuration. It's very embarrassing to find that I had already pounded my head against the wall on this issue.

Tek-Tips members solved the day, thanks again..

This is a known bug in the system that Avaya has admitted then denied. If you remove the 308 card it will work every time. The rev number is important, after a certain rev you cannot connect PERIOD. I am stuck not able to use the modem I bought for this phone system. I must program it throught the # codes on the SYSOP ext 10/11 or take the 308 card out for a while. Bummer!!!

I had a post last november about this and spend about 100 hours stubbornly trying to get it working.

If Avaya comes out with a patch I would love to get it.

This is the info Avaya Tier 3 support gave me:

The problem with the RAC is a known issue, and Avaya is working on it.

It occurs on certain releases* when a 308EC is in a 5-slot carrier – slot one.
*The problem releases are: Release G5 on the RAC and serial numbers beginning with 08 or 09 on the 308EC. Releases prior to these
do not have this issue.

The Work Around: Pull the 308EC from slot one and access the Partner remotely, or use one of the "earlier" 308 versions above.

That is probably the case.
However, we have an open ticket on it and are pushing Avaya, because we have several customers with this issue. I administer PACS by dialing into them remotely - so we don't want to let it get buried.

I didn't post a reply after I swapped the 308 in the first slot and a 206 in the second slot. I was abke to connect after I swapped the cards.

While I don't consider this a good resolution, it did solve the problem.

Jeff

No, it isn't a good resolution. If Avaya does resolve it, I will post the solution.

I doubt Avaya will resolve anything. I feel I have been ignored by the best on this one. I am at the point of buying an older 308 to get it working. Did the swap with slot 2 work? What are the ramifications of this? Do the extensions change much?

You could buy a 206 - it may be cheaper - and put it in the first slot. There are no ramifications; your extension numbers will not change.

With a 206, you have 6 extensions in the slot. With a 308, you have 8. If you need more than 6 extensions, put the 308 in the next slot. Everything should work fine then.

If you have voice mail, you will need to change the vms extensions accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back