Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner Message Waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneGuyNJ

Technical User
Dec 7, 2004
US
I am using a partner at home, R7 and R7 Partner Messaging. Currently I have an auto attendant which has 2 options, 1, to leave a message, and 2 to transfer to my cell phone which I use centrex transfer to do. Works great... although I have option 1 going to mailbox for extension 10. I have 5 phones throughout the house and would like some sort of message waiting indicator for ALL phones to light so I dont have to go to a specific phone to check for messages. Is this possible?

Basically from the other post, it said the answer is no.. I guess my next question would be.. what is the difference between the general mailboxes, and the regular extension mailboxes.. how do they notify when they have a message and such?

I know I read it in another post, but I can't seem to find it. If you can figure a way to have outcalling in your Messaging R7 issue [Feat][09][11][Feat][09][12][Feat][09][13][Feat][09][14] that would turn on the Message Waiting Lights on x-11,12,13,14 (4 extensions[10 would be on from Messaging anyway]). Turning them off might have to be manual, maybe program a button to issue [Feat][10][11][Feat][10][12][Feat][10][13][Feat][10][14] once you have checked all of the messages in 10's mailbox to turn them back off. I'll do some experimenting. :)

So much for that idea. I can't get a button to take more than one extenstion's MWL OFF instruction [one button = one light off]. BUT this post made me think of something.
I have no idea if it would work, but what if you ran Cat5 for your extenstions, your Partner phones use 2 pair, the other 2 pair are free. So, for each extention, other than 10, you could run x-10 on 2 pair and the real extension on the other 2 pair. Then you got 4 stand alone LED MWL's and connected them to the bridged X-10 termination and put your extension on the termination. So basically you would have 5 terminations for X-10 and one termination for the other 4 extensions. Follow? Geez, it just might work. :) I do not know if there would be enough juice to run the 5 message waiting lights off of the X-10 port, but what ya think?

Hi PhoneGuyNJ,
When I install a Partner in a home (and mine), I put ext 10 in the kitchen. Most people wander into the kitchen when they get home so the MWL will be seen then. If you are home and miss the phone, check the voicemail.
A normal mailbox is easier to work with for most people, I have my system set up for my wife and I, my three daughters and my "workbench". My workbench has outcalling enabled, so it calls my cell phone when I get a message there. I don't think general mailboxes have outcalling, at least I have never been asked to do this. You don't even need a general mailbox. Program the system to go to ext 10 for 0/timeout, or 10's mailbox.
-Chris

Have outcalling No. 1 dial "#0911"
Have outcalling No. 2 dial "#0912"
Have outcalling No. 3 dial "#0913"
Have outcalling No. 4 dial "#0914"

Set the outcalling duration to the minimum, I think that's 5 minutes. Set the outcalling cycles to 1.

On the extensions, put a "Feature-10-XX" button, where XX is that extension's OWN extension number.

The VM will take care of turning 10's light on and off.
The outcalling will turn 11 through 14's lights on, over a 15 minute period.

You will have to MANUALLY turn off the lights at Ext. 11 through 14.

Hi TTT,
That will work, but now he has to sit there and punch F10 XX in sequence to turn the darn things off again. I guess a button for each could be programmed to turn them off.

I have a better idea. Set outcalling to call a free extension. Install a LOUD bell on that extension. Your neighbours will not fail to tell you you have a message. The local police may even record the event. At least there won't be a pile of lights to turn off. [bigears]

LOL TTT stole my thunder [thumbsup] I had just figured out how to do the outcalling thing and see that he beat me too it! Good going TTT!!!

I think the idea from the other thread is best: slave some message waiting lights off of Ext 10's tip-ring pair. If you've installed 4-pair wiring to each station (right??), you have two idle pairs to play with. Back in the days of 1A2 Key Systems, this was the kind of local engineering expected of the craftsperson.

Thanks JL! I put a lot of thought into that one and didn't see any acknowledgement of it. Was beginning to think I was off my stump with that idea. [upsidedown]

Simple Delete all the mail boxes on from ext.11-?????.
Now you only have only 1 mailbox to check just 10 which call you anyway so you dont have no message light to see when to get home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back