Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner Max Line & Station Config 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeronet

Vendor
Jul 23, 2006
US
What is the max number of carriers, lines and stations on a Partner system?

My gut feeling is that the maximum capacities of the Partner ACS system will remain "as-is" nor will Avaya make any major changes to the Partner ACS for the reason listed in the 3rd and 4th paragraphs.

Avaya has said that they have no plans to stop production of the Partner ACS. They said pretty much the same thing about the Merlin Magix and we all know what happened this past April. [sad]

There is speculation that the Avaya one-X is going to become the eventual replacement for the Partner ACS.

Given that the R7 processor was released before all the bugs were worked out, its clear that Avaya is concentrating on the IP Office and seemingly giving the Partner ACS minimal attention.

Another question. What are you feelings about the 6D. I want to use them in a new install and I am concerned about the lack of function buttons hower this clinet is limited on space. I plan on taking the system into Hybrid mode with dial 9 access for outside lines.

Hybrdi makes things less confusing when the end user only has to worry about two intercom lines when there are a lot of c/o lines 5 plus to worry about.

Have you head any feedback ffrom your customers about the 6D's.

6D's are fine phones. Hybrid mode still doesn't give you dial 9 access, it gives you one or two pool buttons to allow the user to access dial tone for outbound calls. You MUST train them to TRANSFER calls, as they have NO way of knowing which line is on hold for someone else to retreive. OR, they must PARK their call by transferring it to themselves, and the other party will use Pickup and the extension number that parked the call.

A few points people seem to either forget or not know.

The magix may have been discontinued but there will be parts available for a long while. The Magix is also an upgrade route for people that need more than 40 extensions and want to keep their existing partner phones.

Also, the IP Office is NOT voip only. It is a hybrid system that I personally feel handles TDM phones better than voip. Was it really ready to take the Magix system's place? I don't think so, but it really is a feature rich system and will only improve as time goes on. The voicemail alone is leaps and bounds ahead of anything the Partner or Magix systems have to offer.

I have a customer using 18ds and SLS and I have him onhybrid with 14 c/o lines. Seems less confusing for him. He just picks up and he has dial tone with ALS. However I beleive I first had him on internal intercom dial tone but he never calls any other stations which are SLS except for the recp. station.

I thought I could program the 6d's for inside dial tone and then have them dial 9 for an outside line from their line pool. Why are you saying I can not use dial 9 access? There are 2 intercom buttons and 4 programable buttons.

It's the way multiline phones work on a Partner. You can assign lines to the buttons, assign auto line select to Intercom first, and then the lines, but it will only select the lines that show on the set.

In other words, say you program an extension port to have lines 1 through 8 appear, set ALS to Intercom-1-2-3-4-5-6, and then plug in a 6 button (4-line) phone. The set will get Intercom first, and dialing 9 will get you lines 1-2-3-4 only. If they are all in use, you get a busy signal, even though in programming you've got lines 5-8 assigned as well.

With only 4 buttons to play with, go to pool mode, assign the lines to pool 881 so it only takes up one button, and you've got 3 left to use. If they need to be able to put one call on hold and make another outgoing call, use pool 880 which takes up 2 buttons, giving you 2 blanks to program.

Just stage a system and work with it!

It is very true that Magix hardware will be available (in refurbished form) for a long time to come. (No disagreement there).

And it is also true that the IP Office will also handle TDM POTs lines. (Ditto with the disagreement statement).

Simply put, is very curious how Avaya claimed that the Magix was not going to be discontinued, only to turn right around and kill it.

There have been several posts on this site and others, such as Sundance, that have beaten the VOIP vs. TDM drum to shreds.

I'm not sure trying to continue that discussion under this topic would accomplish all that much.

What do you think about Partner vs Magix? Can you use Partner sets on Magix?

Yes you can use Partner sets on a Magix with the use of 016 ETR modules

Partner vs. Magix? hmmm. Both have their place. The Partner is great in smaller offices that want key mode. Once you get over around 20 extensions and/or 8+ lines, it makes more sense to go to start looking at a larger system like the Magix in hybrid/pbx mode.

Also if the customer wants PRI, linked sites, more than 40 phones etc, then the Magix or other systems are the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back