Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner Mail VS - Need to block specific extension transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHicksted

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
PA
We are installing a Partner ACS 5.0 system with Mail VS. This system is used for both company and personal communications. The system has been configured with extensions from 10-19 for business operations and extensions 20-35 for personal use. We are using an AA to answer the business calls but it seems that users can user a *8 to allow any extension to be called. We want to prevent the AA from allowing transfers to extensions 20-35. Is there a method to block this function or connection to particular extensions?

Hi RHicksted,
I don't think you can block that from happening. The partner series voicemail will transfer a call to any ext. number in the partner dial plan or any hunt or calling group.
The only other way around this is to use selector codes 2 and 3 for possibly announcements but *8 would still work while in a mailbox. Possibly a larger PC based mail (not Partner Mail) from another source could be used.
-Chris

Chris

I feared that this was a limitation. However, I had hope that there existed maintenance commands to change internal functionality. This seems to be a security issue and I would expect that there would be some method to disable the function. Thanks for the feedback

-Richard

Hi Richard,
Well, you know, most people don't know to press *8 to transfer to another mailbox. You can use the "personal operator" function to redirect "0" outs as well. Business users would not have any reason to enter extensions at random. If the personal lines are not covered by the attendant have your customer not pick up calls that go ring-beep-beep. You can change the ring type on the line as well I think (#209).
I hope something there might be useful to you,
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back