Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner II Mail V3 Company Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckak

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2007
US
I have a Partner II system Release 4.0 and the expansion processor with a 20 mail box Release 3 mail module.
We currently have the names and extensions for everyone in the main greeting. It is way to long of a greeting now.
Is there a way to have the directory in a submenu (for the comapany directory press X etc)so the main greeting will take you right to a default mailbox much quicker?

No announcements, no submenus. You could go to a mailbox, instruct callers to dial "*8" plus the extension number to transfer from there, but you'll always have someone leaving a message in there and not getting called back.

I have heard this done before relatively professionally - make a selector code in the VM "dial 4 for our employee directory", point 4 to a mailbox, and then just list the employees in that mailbox; something along the lines of 'to choose from the following list of employees, dial *8, followed by their extension number'. It sounds OK, gives instructions on how to transfer, and whenever there is a personnel change you only have to change the one mailbox, not the whole greeting.

I assume I have to setup an phantom mailbox(higher number than my actual extensions) extension for the directory list.
Can I turn off recording a message in that mailbox used for the directory?
Can I have the main greeting default to a mailbox or do I have to setup another selector code to go to a mailbox?
How do I actually set up the selector code part?

It either has to be a phantom mailbox, or just an unused extension number. If you go into programming for your automated attendant, it will as you to enter a selector code. Once you choose a code, it will walk you through what it can be used as. Choose "transfer to extension", and it will then ask you for the extension, which is the mailbox you have created. I don't believe you can turn off the record a message, so put a reminder at the end; something along the lines of "to repeat this menu, press xx, or dial 0 for our operator. Do not leave a message in this mailbox, as your call will not be returned. Thank you."

I am not sure what you mean by having the main greeting default to a mailbox? Generally, the main greeting (your auto attendant) answers the lines, and defaults to ext 10 if the incoming caller dials 0 or makes no selection.

Hope this helps - I have done it many times for smaller companies who don't have $$ to replace their voice mail. If done properly, it provides a good service to incoming callers.

phonesaz,

do you know on partner messaging how to allow the caller to repeat the main day or night menu? (it's not a submenu, it's the highest level menu)

the only options for the system are:
1. selector transfer code
2. play a submenu
3. play an announcement
4. direct extension transfer
5. mailbox transfer
6. centrex transfer

i had thought I'd be be able to use #1 and send it to extension 50 which is automated attendent 1, but that wasn't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back