Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS Relesse 4.0 - Transtalk 9040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stugots5

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2005
US
Looking to add a Transtalk 9040 to my Partner ACS Release 4.0.
I found a thread that said it has been discontinued by Avaya.
Is this true and if so, what replaces it? I see it being sold by Avaya Business Partners on the Internet and do not see anything about it being discontinued on the Avaya web site.

If it is not discontinued, has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the product. It will go in a factory with no walls about 1000 feet by 500 feet.

I assume I need the DRM-E base unit since I have 308EC R3.0 modules and ETR sets.

Thanks,

Stuart B. Weitz

I've read that static & noise can be major problems for the 9040. I've also seen those reports that Avaya has stopped producing the 9040. If that's true then the 9040s still being advertised as new are existing stock.

I tell our salesman that if they like their customers that they shouldn't push the 9040's to them. They are expensive, the batteries stink,and are very delicate.They will stop working for no reason, you can only have 4 phones and 2 antenas on any system(it took a couple years for Avaya to finally admit to that), And fortunately they will be discontinued at the end of the year.

Thanks for the information. The customer has 6 lines and would like to go off hook and automatically be connected to the ringing line. He is willing to pay the high price for the phone. Has anyone had good experiences with this product?
I know it has been discontinued but hopefully due to its high price. The 3910 only has 2 lines and the range is only 160 feet from the base. The factory is over 1000 feet long.

Fact is they just don't work anymore. We stopped selling them when our customers began to complain about clicking and popping that can make conversations impossible. Seems the proliferation of other wireless devices is causing interference problems for the 9040 and to a lesser degree the older 9031. When we originally sold the customers these phones they worked fine.

I've not heard officially (I'm an Avaya dealer)that the 9040 has been discontinued but that would be a good thing. I'm sure that there will be a replacement (maybe a 9050?) that will take care of these problems. There has to be because the 9040 is the only cordless Avaya makes with that capacity and it is used across all of their product lines.

That said, if you only need a cordless to pick up a ringing line any single line cordless of your choice will do that with the Partner system.

-Hal

Try the EnGenius cordless system...they work very well for our customers!

Our best is Spectralink, but I don't think they are compatible with Partner systems.

It really depends on what you want. If you need a multi-function phone, then really all there is the 9040. On the other hand, if all you need is a phone you can walk around with, then almost any single-line cordless device will do.

It also depends on use. For example, you can get cordless phone from say...Best Buy, but you may be replacing it every month if it gets heavy use. EnGenius is probably your best bet...spectralinks are incompatible...

Wait until after the end of the year. I heard that Avaya will be working with Spectralink on a new phone.

avoid a 9040 unless its free. i am a recently layed off tech from Avaya and take it from me there aren't many out there that haven't been replaced atleast once.
honestly in the last year i was there most of us would swap bad 9040's (on trouble tickets) w/ the predecessor 9030/9031. there are more stable, but there still not worth the cost. if you could find a 9031 refurb for a really cheap price, try it over the 9040. if you do buy one and you have an Avaya maintenace contract, don't worry about them being discontinued, they are plenty of refurbs sitting in their maintenace stock.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back