Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS R7 Intercom Page Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubla

MIS
Dec 23, 2002
US
OK, I have a customer that, with their old system, used to hit the page button and page all the idle phones through the speaker on the phone itself. They are not doing this with the Avaya system. HOWEVER, on some of the phones if not all in certain situations they get massive feedback throughout the entire system (throughout the building during the page) and it is horrible. If you turn down the mic volume it stops but the mic volume returns when the user turns the volume up during a call and the problem continues.

Questions: a) is there a way to permanently turn the mic volume down b) turn the gain down on the mic? c) is this even a common way of paging with the avaya? d) i'm really thinking about moving to a speaker/amp overhead system - would this solve my problem? e) is there anything i can do to solve this problem quickly and cheaply?

They have around 37 active phones and 7 lines and use the stupid paging constantly.

oops, that was supposed to be "they are NOW doing this with the Avaya system

Are you doing Loudspeaker paging, Group paging, or Simultaneous paging?

Are the users simply hitting the page button, and trying to initiate a page through the speaker phone, or are they lifting the handset, pressing Intercom, and then pressing page?

1st, there is NO "mic volume" - it controls the SPEAKER volume, the handset volume, and the ring volume, but NOT the microphone.

If you are doing Loudspeaker page only, and experiencing the feedback, Viking (and others) make a delayed page adapter. You press page, digitialy record your announcement, and when you hang up, the page is played over the loudspeakers.

If you are doing Simultaneous page, that won't work for you.

And if you are doing Simultaneous or Group page, I'd bet they are initiaing a page through the speaker phone, and need to lift the handset instead.

What is the difference between Simultaneous and Group paging? So if I'm figuring this out correctly, if they would life the stupid handset before they hit the Page button it wouldn't feedback?

OR, if they would just hit the page button and NEVER lift the handset (using the speakerphone instead) it would never feedback?

Whichever volume it is, if they hit the page button, turn the volume down everything is fine, but when they're on a call and cannot hear they turn the volume back up and then the next time they use the page it feedbacks again.

What is the difference between Simultaneous and Group paging?

Simultaneous page (Intercom *71) pages through both the extensions assigned to Calling Group 1 (#502) AND the page port on the processor. That normally would be connected to an external amplifier and speakers. Simultaneous page occurs only with Calling group 1. Groups 2, 3 and 4 (Intercom *72, *73 or *74) will only page through the extensions assigned to the groups.

So if I'm figuring this out correctly, if they would life the stupid handset before they hit the Page button it wouldn't feedback?

Yes, that will usually take care of it. There is something else that you can sometimes do in case they forget or refuse to lift the handset.

The idea is to assign extensions to the four calling groups (they can overlap) then program the Page All buttons on each phone so that the page won't be heard from adjacent phones.

-Hal

Simultaneous page (Intercom *71) pages through both the extensions assigned to Calling Group 1 (#502) AND the page port on the processor."

Intercom 71 = rings all extensions in group 1

Intercom *71 = pages all extension in group 1

Intercom 70 = pages to an external or overhead speaker

Intercom *70 = pages to an external or overhead speaker and all extensions in group 1 only.

Yes 1043 you are correct. I meant to say *70 is simultaneous page.

-Hal

I just told them to start hitting the page button and just speaking and now lifting the handset. I'm anxious to see if it works well for them.

I also told them to try picking up the handset and then pressing the page button. But that might do it as well when they go to hang it up.

I appreciate all of your answers. Something tells me I'll be going to an overhead solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back