Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS R6.0 not recognizing 308EC in 5 Slot Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savvydog

Technical User
May 25, 2007
US
Greetings,
I had to replace my ACS R3.0 Processor.

My 5 Slot carrier had the following configuration:
308EC, 308EC, ACS Proc, PMVS 5.0, BLANK

After swaping the the ACS R3.0 for ACS R6.0 and powering up, Slots 1 and 2 had no power light.
ACS and PMVS 5.0 did have power lights.
I pulled out all the cards except for the Processor.
All the lines and extensions worked.
When I added a 308EC at slot 1...no power.
When I put it in slot 2....green light blinks, but extensions do not work.
When I put the 308EC in slot 4, the light is green, the extensions have a dial tone and one can place and receive calls. HOWEVER, extensions 18-25 can not be programmed.
When I use a different 308EC the same result occurs.

Feature 59 indicates the processor is PACS R6.0.B C01.

Any idea what is going on?
Cheers!

You may have a bad back plane in the 5 slot carrier. I would try another carrier. Also the station number ranges are fixed to a particular slot in the carrier. So you can not change the dial plan by slot in the ACS! The only variation occurs with 206 type modules since they are six station ports. So the numbers are shifted by 2 depending on slot and quantity.

....JIM....

Well, when the faulty ACS 3.0 processor is put back all the power lights work and all the modules work....for about 5 minutes.
Then all the phone displays go blank..sometimes the button lights randomly light on and off.
But, the green module LED lights stay lit.

From what you describe in the first post, it sounds like a bad 5-slot as syquest has stated. You eliminated the 308EC being bad by putting it in slot 5 and having it work (which would have been the other option- a bad 308EC in slot 1). 5-slot carriers can go bad. I would replace the carrier and see what happens.

Avaya sold a non-expandable version of the R6 processor. Is it possible that is what you have [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

How can one tell?
My processor does not look like the one pictured
and it has a Lucent label not Avaya.

Thanks

If the processor has a Lucent label, it was, originally, an older release that was flashed up to the R6. The Small Business processor was introduced by Avaya so yours should be expandable.

Just for giggles, do you have access to another R6 processor? If so, try swapping and see if it makes any difference.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

OK, I replaced the 5 slot carrier with a new 5 lot carrier and I still get a slightly different result. Both 308EC modules to the left of the processor (slots 1&2)have blinking power lights and all phones have blank displays with no dial tone. After the 308EC modules are removed, Lines 1,2 and 3 along with Ext 10-17 work fine.

Now what?

Cheers!

Try these steps:
1. Put the processor in the carrier by itself to see if it works. If it doesn't, put it in the other carrier. If it still doesn't work, it may be the processor. If you find a combo that does work:
3. Try adding one 308. If it is ok, add the next 308. If the first 308 causes the system to not work, remove & try the other.

In other words, try every combo possible with the equipment you have in both carriers. By a process of elimination, you should be able to find which piece of equipment is bad. One bad piece will make the system not work.

sysconsultant: Thanks, but I did all that with 2 different carriers.

First carrier, no green light in slot 1, blinking in slot 2,
with both slots containing 308s no green lights lit other than processor and phones do not work (same result using 3 different 308 modules in different combinations.

Second carrier slots 1 and 2 blink in all combinations.

Using either carrier, all lines and extensions work using processor + slot 4 (slot 4 module extensions are busy when attempting to contact via intercom.Extensions from module in slot 4 can contact extensions on processor but not on 308, busy signal occurs.

By itself on both carriers processor works fine.

ttech: Feature 59 =PACS R6.0.B C01

Question: I suppose when there is no green light lit that it indicates "no power", but what does a blinking green light indicate?

Thanks.
Cheers!

After doing some digging around, the regular Partner ACS and the Limited SOE Both show up as PACS R6.X.X with C01 meaning united States

Even the Beep test will give 5 then 6 beeps on both

Skimming through both manuals did not give any clues on how to tell the difference

from the symptoms of only the processor working I am leaning towards you having an SOE processor

Any way you look at it, the R6 processor will not expand beyond EXT 17....either because it is defective....or because it is an SOE verison (despite the "Lucent" label on it).

At this point, the only thing to do is replace it.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

What do blinking lights mean?
The manual says to contact customer service if the green lights blink.

Not having inside information on the inner workings of the Partner ACS, I can only guess that the flashing green lights indicate that the modules are unable to communicate with the processor.

The SOE is a regular Partner ACS processor minus the circuitry that allows you to add on expansion modules.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

In other words, the SOE was designed to be a "stand-alone edition". It isn't designed to work in a carrier with other modules. You need to get another processor that isn't SOE.

Trying to use the SOE makes the system SOL!!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back