Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS hung lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sctel

Vendor
Dec 28, 2015
US
Hello,
An ACS R7 that I installed a year ago in a law office has 4 CO's from Charter. AA picks up after 2nd ring. Every now and then, customer reports all lines lit up and they can't access dial tones until they unplug the lines from the Charter modem and plug them back in. Of course, Charter says everything's fine on their end.
I spent 3 hours there today, verified disconnect signal from service provider (just watching continuity light my tone generator) , made hundreds of calls, but could not duplicate this recurring problem.
Seems that the problem happens every few days, and lines stay 'hung' until physically disconnected and reconnected.

I rebooted the system, and checked everything I could think of (hold disconnect timer) in programming. I'm stumped!

Any advice? I've worked on Partner systems for years and years, but have never encountered this kind of thing.

Thanks!

Could be a flacky acs rel 7 try replacing the r7

ACSS IP Office AIPS IP Office

It's going to be a problem with the EMTA not always providing open loop disconnect. You could lower the time in the Partner so it catches shorter durations. If it only happens overnight, put the EMTA on a timer to go off at 2am and on at 2:01 am

i suggest that this is a thinking problem. consider the relationship between caller id delay and auto attendant answer/queueing/holding actions.
it sounds like the call is winding up on system hold in error. possibly requiring but missing caller id to transfer.

proper testing and resolution may be painfully slow.

knowing that you will receive a lot of resistance from a law office, testing for this programming situation may involve turning off trunk caller id for test. closely examine how the auto attendant transactions can wind up with a mishandled call winding up on hold.

another suggestion is to cause the auto attendant to delay five additional seconds before answering.

Thanks to each of you for your replies.
Really appreciate the suggestions.
TouchToneTommy, the time setting in the Partner that you are referring to is "Hold Disconnect", yes? That's the only one I'm aware of.
The office is currently unoccupied,due to the Covid nemesis, so testing is not a problem! It's been 24 hours, and as of now, it's still answering calls normally.
Not sure when the lockup occurs.

Thanks again.

I agree with TTT. If the service provider is not sending a proper disconnect signal if the originating party hangs up while in the auto attendant/voicemail, it could cause lines to lockup in the system.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

To verify disconnect, I would take a listen with a butt set. The disconnect period may be too short. Put your test set on the line. Call the number and answer with your test set. Hang up on the phone you placed the call from. You should hear a distinct double click as current is removed and reapplied to the line. I believe about 600 ms is the norm. Longer is good. Shorter, not so much.

If the test goes straight to dial tone or a busy signal, this is not a proper loop start disconnect.

Thanks guys. The help is much appreciated. I'll follow up once I resolve the issue.

sctel, you said "The office is currently unoccupied, due to the Covid"

By chance are they/you using the Remote Call Forwarding feature?
Seen your issue many times when my customers have/need that turned on with one particular provider in my area.

I always end up calling the provider & eventually they get it resolved.

Rcc1000,
They have one extension that is set to External CFWD when AA transfers a caller there, but this problem was happening prior to that being implemented. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back