Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS growing pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotta98

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice please.

I've got a Partner ACS R6 with a Partner Messaging module and two 308's in a 5 slot carrier with a remote access card. I have eight incoming voice lines, one fax and twelve extensions. The extensions are a mix of four 34D's and eight 18D's.

I need to add a few more lines and extensions but I am worried about a few things.

Firstly, if I add another module (either a 308 or a 400)then I guess I would have to reprogram all of the 18D"s? I can program them with the remote admin software but the modem drives me nuts and since I upgraded my computer, I have never been able to connect again.

I guess I could hire someone to come in and program them through the handsets but then I've heard stories about having too many 18 & 24 D's that they stop working correctly because of voltage. Does that sound right? I have 100 feet between a showroom and a the admin offices where the system sits.

Then I keep asking myself if it is worth it? Should I just get a different phone system or buy a R7 module. I've had some people tell me that I can easily access via the remote admin software and others tell me that there is no difference.

I guess I am just a little frustrated and lost at this point and looking for some advice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would rather have an R6 than an R7 anyday.Why would you have to reprogram 18D's? The only reprogramming would be the voice mail ports if you move the Partner Messaging to the end on the line(last slot).

Thanks for the help. I have the current 18D's set up so the first eight buttons are for phone lines and then the other buttons are for extensions, music, voice mail, etc. That would mean no-one with a 18D could answer line 9? I could well be wrong but thats what I thought...

you need to find a good vendor

and let them handle it for you

If you do expand the system, in addition to changing the voicemail ports, you would probably end up shifting around the extension, music and other function buttons around on each extension so you can tack on the buttons for the new telephone lines right next to the buttons for the existing telephone lines.

It would be tempting to swap out the R6 processor for an R7, but it might not be a good idea. Sadly, the R7 has been hampered by problems. Many Avaya Business Partners refuse to sell the R7 and continue to sell the R6 (which is still in production).

figure out how many lines and ports you will have left not in use after adding what you would like to add without trying to be conservative. include any helpful new phones that may be considered like a break room phone, lobby phone, wireless phones, server room phone, etc.

then consider how many lines, and exts you anticipate adding in the next 3 years after this upgrade is done. take that number and double it. if this will still fit in your current system, then adding a card is a good safe option, if not, then i would not do it. upgrade to a system which can offer you room to grow rather than put money into a system just to max it out vs your current expansion, or short term expansion needs. moving to a t1 circuit could also possibly give you an roi on new system vs your current system, based on the cost of services from your telco for analog lines vs a t1.

the larger systems may offer some other additional features that may have roi's for your business. a magix may be an option, but it is a discontinued product from avaya. the ip office may also be an option to consider.

i support all three of these, and they all have strengths, weaknesses, and different features available per system. i would network within your area, and find a good vendor with experience, and good references on all three of these systems. any good smbs vendor should be able to provide implementation references on all three of these systems specifically. these are the core products for any smbs vendor for avaya over the past decade. the partner, and ipo for the next decade.
if it were my business, i would start looking at your options, and my choice would be the ipo, when growing out of the partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back