Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS Contact Closure With IP Office - Can it Be Done? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokermia

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2004
US
I have a customer that switched from a Partner ACS to an IP Office R11.0.0.2(23)with 9508 phones. The site has two doors w/door phones controlled by an old Contact Closure (Model 950A1) that they used to open the doors remotely from the Partner phones. Is there a way to connect this to the IP Office and open the doors remotely from the 9508s, or do they have to switch to something else like a Viking door controller?

IP500 controller has two contact closures via an 1/8" phono plug on back of control unit. You'll want to use these to drive separate relays to do the actual unlocking. But it works like a champ.

Mike Forrence

Oh man, I completely forgot about that O/P port because I never have to use it - thanks!

So if I'm understanding correctly, could you take a 3.5mm audio cable, plug one end into the O/P port, then cut the jack off the other end and splice it onto the cable that was running into the old contact closure from the door phones? Or is it more involved than that? Then just configure a button on the phones to dial the *39/*42 Relay 1/2 short codes when they want to open the doors?

ETA: Searching on this site finds conflicting information, with many recommending connecting the O/P port to another relay (like a Viking RC-2A), and then to the contact closure wiring. Normally we'd just use a Viking C-2000B and Avaya door phones, but this customer wants to reuse their existing door phones and to be able to open the doors with the press of a button like on their old ACS. The problem is they're not sure who handles their door headers (Stanley, etc), so we don't have any way of finding out what wiring is in the header. Is there a way to use the C-2000B and connect it to the wiring from the Partner Contact Closure and have it do the trick if the O/P port solution isn't an option?

DON'T try to reuse the Partner contact closure adjunct, build your own for the IPO and move the door strike wires from the Partner adjunct to your own

IPORelay_zd6yyj.jpg

Thanks, TTT. If we use the C-2000B instead, can we run the door strike wires from the Partner adjunct to the C-2000B?

No - what I am saying is the Partner adjunct is not compatible. I have a friend that reverse engineered the Partner adjunct, it contains a couple of transistors, diodes, and several resistors, along with the relays. The equivalent circuitry, minus the relays, is inside of the IPO. Once you build your own relay box, take the wires connected to Contact 1 and Contact 2 terminals on the Partner adjunct move them over. Let the customer keep their current door boxes and openers, which are a pain in the neck to change out anyway.

They are an open collector output, so they are polarity sensitive.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Also, Viking makes a devise that operates a contact closure from analog ring voltage or off-hook detection. They're fairly cheap around $50 and much easier to wire than a mini plug and easy configure and troubleshoot. Part is an LDB-3

"It's all ball bearings these days" Fletch F. Fletch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back