Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS connection to office across street? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDiver

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2003
US
Hello All,

Thought I had posted this an hour ago, but don't see it, hope I am not reposting.

Currently remote office has a Merlin 2, which is a pain in the but for me. Lost programing, can't program via PC, etc..

The group has 4 lines, five extensions and a two fax machines. They don't have many requirments, although they want to add extensions.

I am currently thinking about upgrading a Partner system we have (it's basically a free system) to ACS, rel 6 or 7 (with remote access, etc) and plopping the system in place. It also has a Partner Mail system, which I think works. I already support another Partner system, and think it would be best for them right now.

Comments?

Big question I have now is they want to start using a office across the street from the warehouse. I have been told they don't have any lines from warehouse to office, but I also saw some IROB for the Merlin 2 system...well, maybe it wasn't for the Merlin 2, but they were protectors, and I would bet they had some method of tyeing the office and warehouse together.

My limited background can think of the following ways to handle the office/warehouse system, perhaps someone can comment and offer suggsetions:

1. Put in conduit across the street, probably directed boring or whatever that's called.

2. Try to convince the city to let us string some wires across the street, doesn't seem likely right now.

3. Use tie lines between the two systems.

4. Have two seperate systems.

Again, thanks for all the comments and ideas. Last hurdle is the warehouse and office across the street.

I appreciate all the help,

Jeff

If you can afford it do a directional bore and put in a 50 or 100 pr with entrance protectors, also upgrade to R6 not R7. The R7 is a 5X9.
hope this helps

A trusted source for years.

Telprog,

I would agree, directional bore is best option.

I suspect that idea will be kaboshed, unless I can show cost savings over two seperate systems, tie lines etc..

Skipping the best options (1 & 2), what other options do I have?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Leased lines from the LEC each way, and two systems. The cost will add up over time. I like the multipair cable underground the best. I guess you could get a wireless network set up and use iP Office on each side. When they see the cost of that, they may give you your multipair.
-Chris

There is a VOIP product that can emulate fxs or fxo lines (ext's or co lines) You could get a 2 port and as long as you have fast internet in both places, you could transfer calls between the VOIP gateways. Product name is Multi-tech.

Use a Voip Solution with 54G wireless. Compress Your calls to G729, make sure it's an isolated-dedicated link for good voice quality. Of course with a partner your only going to have analog extensions on the far end.

I can see that this is an old post, but if you are looking for a cost effective quick solution to your problem here, post again and I'll tell you how I made it work for an Office Furniture Store and thier warehouse across the street.

Hi Denney,
I think we are all interested. Another tool in the arsenal. Do tell!
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back