Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS 6.0 Second Line rings twice, then drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savvydog

Technical User
May 25, 2007
US
Greetings,
A strange thing started today.
Line 2 would ring twice, then (according to the caller) just drop off. However, if one answers the line about 10 seconds after the last ring heard, the caller is on the line.
If a call is made to Line 2 from inside the office on either Line 1 or 3, the line rings until it is answered.

Restoring the system from a 1 week old backup did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?
Partner ACS 6.0, 3 lines, Partner Mail VS 5.0

Cheers!

Thanks for trying.
No call services.
When Partner is removed from line 2 by powering off.
Caller 1, me calling using cell phone, hears ringing.
Caller 2, my assistant using cell phone, hears busy signal.

When powered back on, me using cell phone gets AA.
My assistant using her cell phone ten seconds later gets one ring, then dead air

When Partner is removed from line 2 by powering off.
Caller 1, me calling using cell phone, hears ringing.
Caller 2, my assistant using cell phone, hears busy signal.

When powered back on, me using cell phone gets AA.
My assistant using her cell phone ten seconds later gets one ring, then dead air

OK, I was going to say that Line 2 is hunting to another line port on the ACS, perhaps one that is not assigned and viewable on the phones, but is still assigned to the voicemail in some way.

BUT, your first statement throws me off. Partner is out of the picture, because it is powered off. You are calling line 2 from your cell, and hearing ringing, and at the same time your assistant is also calling line 2 and receiving a busy signal. So it's NOT hunting.

But, once you call line 2, and it is answered/in-use, and your assistant calls it, it is not busy but instead rings and is answered somewhere. Perhaps you have "Call Forward on Busy" from the telephone company, and it doesn't work when the line is ringing, only when the line is in-use.

So, is it CF/NA to another line on the Partner, or some other outside number? And can you cancel the telco feature with something like 73# or *73 on line 2?

Unplug line 2 from the ACS, but don't turn the power off. Connect a Single-Line telephone to line 2, verify dial-tone and the number, then call it from your cell. It will ring on the single line phone, answer it. Now have your assistant call the number, what happens? Busy? Ring and then dead air? Repeat with line 2 connected to the single line phone, AND the ACS powered off.

Post the results

Is your service provider the RBOC or some alternate.....the local cable company, Vonage or something else [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Greetings,

Sorry my problem still persists.
TouchToneTommy I'm confused.

Currently, LINE 2 from Phone Company connects to ACS

When you suggest unplugging line 2 from ACS and connecting to a single line phone, that sounds like the phone wire goes from Phone Copmpany to Single Line Phone, YES?

If this is the case, Single Line Phone rings, gets answered, second call receives busy signal.

However, when you suggest to plug a single line phone into line 2 of ACS, there is no active Line 2 coming from Phone Company to ACS, Right?

So instead, I had Line 2 from Phone Company to ACS.
Connected Single Line Phone to Ext 10. Dial tone was confirmed
ACS off.
Dialed Line 2 from cell.
Line 2 rang once, then answered with dead air.
Second caller received dead air.However 3rd caller got busy signal.

No.

First I want you to disconnect line 2 from the ACS altogether.
The line 2 button will just get you dead air.

Then I want you to connect a single line phone to the cord that you unplugged from the Line 2 port on the ACS. You might need a cord coupler to do that, or you might be able to plug the cord directly into the jack on the single line phone.

Now you check and make sure that you have dial tone on the single line phone, and perhaps call 1-800-444-4444 to verify that it is the correct phone number.

Now call it from your cell. Answer it when it rings. Don't hang up either your cell or the single line phone. Use another cell phone to call the number again.

What happens at this point?

Now, hang up all the phones. Leave them hooked up as before. Disconnect the power from the ACS, so that it is dead.

Repeat the test above. What happens to the 2nd call?

TTT,
I must say you are confusing me, but...

I did exactly as you suggested.
First task, the second caller got a busy signal......as I would expect.
Second task, same result

But I would expect that since the ACS was completely removed from the equation both times.....wouldn't I?

However, after hooking everything back up and powering the ACS, the first call coming in to line 2 goes as expected.But after that call is completed, all other calls to Line 2 drop off until the ACS is powerd off for 1 minute, then powered back on.....but only resets for the next call. Second call resorts back to dropping off.

Sorry to be confusing, just trying to sort out the symptoms.

I think we are not really understanding exactly what you are experiencing.

the first call coming in to line 2 goes as expected.But after that call is completed, all other calls to Line 2 drop off until the ACS is powerd off for 1 minute, then powered back on

I was understanding you to say that a 2nd call to line 2, while line 2 was engaged on a call was having this "drop off" issue.

But now I think I am hearing you say that you make a call to line 2, answer it, talk, and everyone hangs up, making line 2 idle again. NOW, a "2nd" call to line 2 rings only twice on the Partner and stops, but the caller is still on the line if you access line 2 within 10 seconds after the Partner stops ringing?

Is this close to a description of the scenario?

From all of the above, my guess is the line 2 port on the ACS module is defective and is causing false ring trips... Try another line port or replace the module.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back