Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner 60 with Transtalk 9040

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartnerACS60

Technical User
Jun 26, 2006
US
Hi All
Just added 2 transtalk 9040 handsets to my partner acs 6.0 home system. I am having a slight problem though. The handsets both make the "chirp" sound for up to 10 minutes after a call is placed and picked up on another line. The chirp continues until I press the talk button and press it again. I would like to think this is an error with my programming. In this case, can anyone get me to put this annoying sound to rest. My kids get calls all night long and we have resorted to putting the phones in a desk drawer.

By the way, these phones rock. They have a range of 4+ acres at our home! I mounted the radio in our attic.

Hey there!

I don't know if that chirping is normal (I haven't worked with Transtalks). If the Transtalk user-guide doesn't address the issue, try speaking with the company you bought the units from.

I do know that Avaya has stopped production of the 9040. While it had a good set of features, transmission quality was suffering due to increased congestion on the frequency band that it uses. Also technicians were reporting that handsets were experiencing high failure rates.

Try going into Group calling (#502) and see if those exts. are in a calling group. Also make sure someone doesn't have those exts. programmed for voice announce.

Thanks guys. I wil try that tonight. Maybe it would be easier to just try it via PC Admin though.

I never understood why they would stop selling this phone. For inner city installations, I can see how there would be problems. My home isn't in the boondocks (30 miles from NYC) but we still get great reception. I would say though that the placement of the radio transmitter is crucial to a successful install.

What is its Avaya replacement model?

Do a search of the 9040, you will see your problem talked about a few times and also some opinion on the product as well.

Hi again ACS60,

The only cordless phone that Avaya still markets for the Partner ACS is the 3910. It is not as versatile as the 9040.
Rumor has it that Avaya is going to work with an outside company to produce the true replacement for the 9040.

I never understood why they would stop selling this phone... My home isn't in the boondocks (30 miles from NYC) but we still get great reception.

Heh, heh, you'll find out. We have many 9040 and 9031 customers exactly where you are. Every one pretty much gave up on them. About all I can say is that they used to work great. Too bad you didn't do some research before you spent your money. There are lots of them out there on the internet for a reason.

-Hal

Transtalks are like any electronic component - mis-use it and it doesn't perform to original factory specs. Like your cell phone - just drop your Transtalk in a toliet or on concrete and see how well it works ... :)

Buy a leather cover for your Transtalk and about 75% of your normal problems go away.

Batteries - cables - other RF signal interferences are also frequent issues related to TT's proper operations.

Sure Lucent/Avaya has had issues with their RF products ... but so has Motorola, Nokia etc. They are all a pain - but we keep demanding high-tech and 100% performance under any condition! No wonder TTs have a bad reputation!

This topic reminds me of a post I once read.

It went something like this:

We have the technology and know how to put humans on the moon & into outer space, but nobody can produce a good cordless telephone.

I myself have no experience with the Transtalk. Does it operate @ 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz? Is the signal between the handset and the receiver analog, digital or DSS? [ponder]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back