Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner 34D Phone Goes Off Hook (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReidTel

Vendor
Jan 19, 2008
US
Hi guys. I posted in an earlier thread about the issues a customer is having with her phone going off hook by itself. One of the lines are randomly seized and she has to disconnect the line cord to release it. I really appreciate all of your suggestions which I checked or implemented but nothing has worked. Here's a rundown of what I've done to try to resolve the problem.

1. Replaced phone
2. Temporarily swapped processor and reprogrammed
3. Ran new cable, replaced jack and line cord
4. Replaced patch cord from 66 block to extension port
5. Terminated patch cable on different pins on 66 block
6. Replaced carrier

I also checked the programming but don't see anything that could possibly cause this. Since this started out of the blue and they haven't had any programming changes recently I can't see programming as the culprit. Maybe another set of eyes can see what I might be overlooking. At this point I haven't a clue as to what to do next. I've never been defeated by a darn Partner system but this has me totally scratching my head.

Larry Reid
Reid Telesys Communications

something is using the POTS/Analog part of the port. When it goes off hook the phone will light the green indicator for the line. Is anything connected to the AUX port on the phone or is the wiring terminated to multiple sources? It could also be a short in the feed to the phone. Does the phone itself go off-hook and on speaker? If not it is probably not the set itself. Did you do a continuity test on the cable even if ti is new. Also if you ran a new one is it a homerun or did you terminate to a punch block?
Mike

Mike thanks for your response. To answer your questions, yes the green LED does come on and she hears the off hook tone generated by the carrier's CO. I tested for continuity and terminated the cable on a 66 block. I changed the pins that it was originally terminated on as well as the patch cable from the 66 block to the station port. The only thing that I didn't change was the 308EC module. The carrier has the processor module, 308EC and Partner Mail VS.

Larry Reid

perhaps you could set your laptop up as an smdr printer and catch something unusual.

What if you moved her to a different port in the system is she in the 308EC? Also try to skip the 66 block have had issues with them having some corrosion.
Mike

One of my first things I did was move her to another port. She is extension 10 so she's on the processor module. I swapped her with 11 which was not experiencing the problem but the issue continued. That's when I assumed it could possibly be a wiring issue like a swinging short. I will take your suggestion and remove it from the 66 block. Since I've already temporarily replaced the processor I can eliminate it being a port problem. I appreciate your suggestions.

Larry Reid

I went back today to remove the station cable from the 66 block and terminated it on a jack, assigned a new extension port on a different module (from ext 10 to ext 21)and replaced the patch cable. I sat around for about 30 minutes waiting for the off hook situation to happen again. 15 minutes after leaving it fails again. At this point I am officially clueless as to what's causing this

Larry Reid

The only thing left are the pots lines, I would have them tested.

Thanks for responding Joe. I've eliminated that as a cause because all of the phones have the same lines. This is only happening on one phone.

Larry Reid

It sounds like someone plugged a computer into a phone jack.

Do you use 8 pin jacks for the phones?

Are there any "Hot" jacks that do not have a phone plugged in?

Bill thanks for responding. Because it only happens on one user's phone, I have to eliminate any other devices being plugged in. It's not that it just indicates that the line is in use by the user but she also gets the audible off hook signal from the CO once the dial tone times out and it's only happening on her phone.

Yes all jacks are 8 pin 4 pr jacks.

Although I checked phones in each office, I never checked to see if there were any jacks that may be connected to the system that didn't have a phone connected.

Larry Reid

Bill you put a thought in my head. Since the customer normally unplugs the phone once it goes off hook so it's not happening when I get there, I've only witnessed it happening once. Of course I immediately started thinking of the obvious reasons it could be happening (phone, port, wiring etc) I think my next step will be to make sure I'm on site when it happens and start disconnecting phones and lines system side to see if affects the condition. It could be that I'm barking up the wrong tree

Larry Reid

Hi Larry,

Don't know if you resolved this yet or not, but this has happened to me twice for two different customers.

At both sites they had at least 3 or more 34 button series 1 phones.

One location bought there own phones (34 D series 1) over the internet & this problem you are talking about started. I took that phone to my office & couldn't duplicate the issue.
Basically, I kept switching out the phone & even some of my refurbished ones still had the issue. Finally I got one that did not do this anymore & they haven't had the issue for over three years now.

The second location, I could always duplicate the problem onsite & did most of what you have tried. Again, I finally brought over a few refurbished phones, after seeing the problem moved with the phone wherever I installed it at.
Finally got one that worked perfect.
I actually forgot about the first location having the same problem until got the second location working.

I have kept the phones that had the issue & even installed a few, if that was the only 34 button phone on the system & no problems.

Don't know if a certain year when these were made, weren't made as good as other years or what, but no complaints from anyone after getting a good phone.

If you have a hard time duplicating the problem, if your site has a series 1, maybe just switch it out with a series 2.

Hey RCC,

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that someone else has had a similar experience. I had the customer swap phones with an 18D that was in an unused office and for over 2 weeks the problem never reappeared. But get this, it also didn't happen on the 34D in the unused office. I went back a couple of days ago and switched the 34D back to it's original location and within minutes I hear the off hook tone, line 2 in use led was lit and 1 staff member's extension was lit. He was on line 1 but on the 34D it showed that her phone was in use on line 2 although the phone was on hook. The off hook tone was coming through the handset and not the speaker. I picked up the handset and then put it back in the cradle and all was normal. I wait for it to happen again to see if the problem was somehow connected to the guy who was on his phone when it happened before. For an hour and a half it never came back. Long story short, since the 18D had no problems when I swapped them, I duplicated the programming of the 18D, removing all auto intercom buttons and leaving only basic features such as LND, VM and VMT. If it returns I will do as you did and order a new 34D. At this point I just want to call in a priest to exorcise the demons.

Larry Reid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back