Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partitioning a 80GB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toraz

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
DE
Hi,
I have a 80GB drive that has no partitions...there is only 12GB of free space...
i now need to reload XP..how can i partition this drive with Partition Magic so that C: becomes a empty 10GB partition on which i can install XP only and leave my other data on D:(70GB partition)??

Can i just tell it i want c: as 10GB and D: as 70GB and then restart windows? will it still boot?
...anything on c: i still want just drag across to D: leaving me just with windows on C:, and then reformat c:???

I don't beleive that you can partition a hard drive that has an operating system on it. If you don't have it partitioned already, I think that you would have to back up your hard drive, format, partition, reinstall XP and then put the data back. When you loaded XP for the first time and everything else on your drive, it doesn't know to put it in a nice little group that you can split from the rest of the drive. Atleast that has been my experience.

I stand correctd. I guess I need to get updated on my program knowledge before inserting my foot. There is a way to do this with Partition Magic. I applogize for giving out any misinformation.

I presume you have one partition, rather than none! You can use partition magic to shrink the current partition to 70GB - but this will be first partition on drive. You can install XP in new 10GB partition, but I'd use XP's tools to create the partition during install - tales of problems from people using partition magic to set up partition for XP.

Hi
Toraz, what did you use to partition the 80 GB in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back