Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarybum

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a 120 gig HD and an 80 gig drive that I use in a mobile rack for cloning backups with Norton Ghost (currently using Ghost 2002). I am about to do a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I am plannng to put XP on a 20 GIG primary partition. I thought I would make an extended partition of the remaining space and divide into a 40 gig logical for application installation and the rest as a logical partition for file storage. I will install XP NTFS. A technician told me to make the second 40 gig application partition FAT32 for better performance.
Is this the optimal patitioning strategy?
Should I use NTFS or FAT32 for the logical partitions?
Thanks.......bb

There's also the two slight problems with Volume Sets in that;

1. Volume Sets DO NOT increase disk space. This is marketing speak. They only increase logical disk space IF you've gone out and bought a new physical hard disk, or are not fully utilising your existing one. If you've just bought a shiny new 180Gb 7200 RPM hard disk, why not simply partition it? If you're not fully using your existing space, and need more, why not create a new partition or dynamically extend the existing one. Dynamic disks are too processor intensive for my liking, and I don't know anyone that actually uses them (although I'll probably find out from this posting!).

2. If just one disk out of the two fails, you cannot access your data until you've bought a new disk and re-created the volume. This is similar to hardware RAID, but not nearly as efficient or safe. You also have the problem of backing up such a huge single chunk of data. Eggs in one basket springs to mind.

I prefer a smaller, multiple partition strategy, but that's just my opinion.

:) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back