Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Sizes on the SCCS Win2KServer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXguyTX

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2004
US
The recommended size for the partitions on the SCCS are 4GB. Is it going to cause a problem if I make those partions bigger or does any one have larger partitions right now?

The reason I want to increase the size is that we are not able to keep more than 31 days worth of historical data online because the harddrives keep filling up to fast.

Assuming this is a current release of Symposium, your database partitions need to be a minimum of 4GB (4096) and can increase in size up to 16GB (16384). All database partitions need to be the same size, though, and any increases need to be in 1GB (1024) increments. You can have up to a total of 64GB -- e.g., 4 16GB partitions. If you migrate to a new platform with larger database partitions, you will not automatically expand your database. There is a database expansion utility that you need to run. Hope that helps.

We are currently running 8.87 GB partitions.....that was the most that our local representative would allow (go figure) but we are running out of space as well.....we are running Symposium 4.2 on W2K server......

We have 4 x 18Gb partitions and the system is running very smoothly... we install the SCCS 4.2 a year ago and we never experienced any problem regarding the partition's sizes.

I hope this can help??

The original installer of our Symposium didn't take head the recommendations for parition sizes and made one 4GB partition and a 64 GB paritition and installed Symposium. The server was completely unreliable, crashing regularly with trouble starting services on boot.

We rebuilt it with 5GB for WIN2K system, 14GB for the Symposium software partition (overkill), and 3 16GB Database directories.

Thing runs like a champ now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back