Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Size 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbri

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hello everyone

It's been awhile since I built a DOS 6.2 with Windows 3.1 machine but, I have a windows 2000 machine with virtual PC loaded on it and I want to build a DOS virtual PC. Would someone tell me what the max size of the partition I can make to load DOS 6.2 and install Windows 3.1. I am thinking it is around 500 meg but, I can't remember for sure. Any help will be gratly appreciated.

Thanks Randy

Was 2.1 GB for fat16. But the bigger you made it, the more waste.
If I recall correctly, the cluster size break from 4K to 16K was around 540mb.
You might try a google search on "cluster size". Used to pop up in the first or second page.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

The maximum sized partition under DOS 6.2 is 512MB, unless, of course, you use a DDO (dynamic disk overlay) program, which is designed to fool DOS and BIOS (in older machines) into allowing a larger disk. Such a program can be downloaded from the site of many hard drive manufacturers.

Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" --My Dad

Looking in the Help file for MS-DOS 6.20 and 6.22 shows the maximum partition size for both as 2GB, probably would be for 6.21 also.

Hello Everyone

THanks for the information it helped out alot.

Randy

All I know is that I remember having a machine wih Windows 3.11 on top of DOS 6.22, and I had to use a DDO to get it to recognize a 1GB HDD. But . . . I dunno . . . perhaps it was the BIOS of that machine. If you say you saw it in DOS itself, Blujacket, I believe you. It's good to know.

Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" --My Dad

the 2.1 is a DOS limitation, the 512 was a BIOS limitation.
32K maximum cluster size by 65K clusters.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back