Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition "Date Created" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwasy

Technical User
Nov 28, 2006
SI
some years ago i made new partition - disk ''H''.

i know to display file & folder creation date, but how & where i can see ''Date Created'' for partition ?

maybe some free program ?

TIA

I don't think you can. Its not the kind of information that's stored when you create a partition.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

There is a super hidden Metadata file called $VOLUME, this has the creation date of the Volume. I wish I could tell you how to read the file.

Best I can offer is SystemInfo from a Command Prompt, and hope that the Partition was created last time you installed Windows, that will show up as "Original Install Date:"

I have seen those metadata files when using Windows 98 to read NTFS files with the aid of programs like Ntfs4Dos or NTFSforWin98, or similar etc.

Why do you need to know the creation date, that might be an interesting story?

not any particular reason or big story. just curiosity. i can see a lot of data for files and folders, so what about partition or disk?!

linney, thx for useful link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back