Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Magic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkster

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
US
I installed Partition Magic 8.0. I get the following error message when I try to merge 2 partitions:

Error 626 Operation is to be performed on a hard drive not visible from boot mode. Power Quest recommends the following...

Cause 3: If this error is reported when resizing a partition on a large RAID drive in boot mode, the problem is that the partition is on a slave drive on the RAID controller and is detected as drive 3 in the chain. Drives 0, 1, and 2 are left undetected when the drives post.

Fix 3: Change the affected RAID drive to master so the system can detect it as drive 0.

How do I go about changing the affected RAID drive to master???

Thanks!

Hi Monkster,

Which raid controller are you using? If you are using a Promise card, set the jumper in the back of the drive(s) to CableSelect (CS), look in the HDD manual or on the HDD for the correct position of the jumper. The HDD should be recognised automatically as slave/master.

If you have 2 or more disks on the card and the affected drive is set CS and recognised as slave, you are unable to set it to master, there can only be one...

If you have a 4 disk controller and two disks, set the secondary disk to the second connector, and it will be recognised as master.

I'm pretty sure you cannot change partitions on a card which uses hardware raid (even the JBOD mode), like the SX4000/SX6000.

Goood Luck!

Monkster - from your other post, it sounded unlikely you have RAID at all - you said just one 12GB drive involved.

Have you considered my clean install suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back