Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition in not Windows XP-compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

daGeneral

Technical User
Jul 16, 2002
US
This is message I receive when trying to reinstall WinXP on my drive.

Had horrid crash (TG4 Backups) and decided it was time to reformat and do clean install.

killed all partitions, reformatted and booted from the XP CD. Get to 'choose a partition' part and this is what is on screen:

Unknown Disk
(There is no disk in the drive)
C: 12xxxGB (NTFS) 12xxxGB Free

When I hit enter to install XP on C: it takes me to a page that says something like (I can post exact words if needed but this is pretty close):

"In order to continue, Windows XP needs to write some startup files to
Unknown Disk
However, this disk partition is not Windows XP compatible. Hit enter to go back and install a compatible partion.

I go back, delete the existing partition, hit C to create a new partition and thus starts the endless cycle over again. Try to install...same message as above.

PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I BUY A MAC G4!!!!!
daGeneral

I'd try fdisk /mbr from a win98 boot floppy first. I'd also remove existing partition with fdisk (I might also try creating and formatting a small Fat32 partition with fdisk/format to 'test it'). Then I'd boot XP install CD again & see if its happier. If not, I'd go looking on hard drive manufacturer's site for a low-level format utility (to put drive back in state it was on leaving factory). Hope this helps.

I'm not able now ot even boot from a floppy. I tried about a dozen utilities to create boot disks for win98 (as well as for XP and win2k which I upgraded to XPpro from).

I put the floppy in the drive, power up, see the OEM logo (friggin compaq POS) and then the screen goes blank except for a flashing underline cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've tried every key to get into the BIOS, but nothing works. I got a utility from Maxtor (since they now own Quantum - the drive mfr) but that disk doesn't boot either.

Any suggestions other than saying f*&# it and starting over from scratch?

This is a real tough one I wish we could find a solution for you but apart from moral support I don't know what to suggest.

These links might give you some idea how to get into your bios if that is still a problem.

This link you can check out to see if it gives you any ideas on your original problem

Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP

Sorry not much help here but give us a few specifications and details of setup and we will keep looking..

XP's version of NTFS is not the same as that of Win2K. I'm sure MS did this at the behest of other software vendors.

"Mr. Gates, this is Peter Norton. I need you to break the filesystem for XP so people have to update their Norton Utilities."

At any rate, completely blow away that partition & then install XP.... it'll let you create a new partition.

Hope that helps ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

Just my quick .002 cents...

This may be a bit off, but with the symptoms you're describing I would at least try another stick of RAM. It's just doing the strange things that I've seen bad RAM do...

[cannon][pc3]

I LOVE troubleshooting...

You obviously need to get into the bios to set machine to boot from floppy or CD or you might as well throw it away! (assume floppy drive is ok?). One method I've managed to use before is to keep pressing as many keys as possible during boot - the bios detects a keyboard error and offers entry to bios setup (works about 50% of the time in my experience).

Finally found the F10 key would get me into setup so I could boot from floppy first. Tried the Maxtor utility to perform a low level format and still ended up with the same message. Looks like time to buy a new HD and hope I can salvage this POS for some extra storage.

FYI: Specs on the machine:

Compaq Presario 5724
12GB HD (the one that's jacked up)
500 Celeron
256MB RAM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions....I'm gonna try everything!

Have now figured it's not the HD. I yanked it and popped in a fresh 100GB from WD and I get the same friggin message about the Unknown Disk and the non-XP compatible partition.

On most Compaq machines you press F10 when you see the blinking cursor in the top right corner.. Then you can access your bios to set the boot preferences.. Hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back