Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Harddrive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetlyn

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I have wiped out my harddrive from being NT and would like to load 95 to upgrade to 98. Put in 95 Windows startup CD and get to a: prompt. When I tell it to start setup it says I need to partition the harddrive. How do I do that. I can't understand the articles I have pulled up enough to get started. I tried typing FDISK from the a: prompt, FDISK c:/, FDISK c:, nothing works. Help? Thanks, Janet Lyn

Oh yeh.....Duh!!!!!

if you don't have Win95 OSR2 or better.....

follow "Edfair" as he is "correct" if you "don't" have Win95 OSR2 or better.....
on how to partition the drive.....to RECLAIM your 5 lost MB...

"If" you have 95 OSR2 or better......you should be able to create "one" more 5 Mb partition......
if you so desire

Whether you DO or DO NOT have 95 OSR2....The NEW partition(or partitions) will be "Extended DOS Logical"....NOT PRIMARY.....otherwise you'll LOSE your data.........

Type Fdisk at Command prompt.......
You would Choose #1. "Create DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive" from menu
Do NOT choose create Primary DOS Partition at this juncture....or you'll LOSE all data......
It'll probably give you a warning first anyway.......but don't count on it.........
You would then Choose #2. "Create Extended DOS Partition"
You would then Choose #3 "Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended Partition

Pay more attention to the "text" choices above......than the Number choices
You would do this sequence for EACH new partition that needs to be made....if more than one....

TT4U

Thought I would ask this because no one else that I have seen has. You mentioned SCSI there. Is this a SCSI drive running off of the Motherboard or off of a Controller Card in a PCI slot??

If it is in a Controller card on a PCI slot we have a whole new ballgame.

ME

MSEDDE
Exactly what I was gettig at..in my earlier posts......
But I don't have the knowledge about SCSI config.....

TT4U

Mannnn..I must be exhausted......about 2 posts ago.....I started it out "OH yeh Duhhh".....was directed at myself....as in I forgot all about the 95 OSR2 issue.....

Anyway I'm happy to say.......I get to say it too myself again.....I noticed in that post-o-mine I say 5 Mb quite alot when it should read -5 GIGABYTE-......a hearty double-duh to myself..thank you kindly......
You see Janetlyn, we all make typo's....(actually I make tons).....[bigsmile]

I feel better know...
TT4U

After all that has gone on, it doesn't matter in the end. No, I did not mean to say SCSI, instead CDROM,C,A or whatever. And my harddrive is crashed. I am taking another one home tonight and will stick it in there and see what happens. We tried resetting jumpers, unplugging the wide gray cables, just about everything. So, I guess I have a bad harddrive. Will see tonight. However, sooner or later I am going to have to do what I talked about above, so your time and information is not wasted. Tek-Tippy, your a riot. And I think you need to take back your double-duh. I believe you were just copying me and I started with 5mb when I should have said 5 gig. So, the double-duh goes to me. Tag I'm it. Have a good laugh, and a wonderful day. Janet Lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back