Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition error assigning luns to esxi hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2009
US
We're trying to add emc clariion storage to existing esxi hosts, but it's complaining about not being able to read the partition data.

Rescan works and it sees the new LUN, it fails on the wizard.

Here's the rub: the space had been used previously on a different Windows 2003 server and had been cleared of data and formatting before reassigning it to our vmware esxi hosts.

What more do we have to do to get esxi to use "previously used" luns?

The partition needs to be RAW - not formatted when added to ESXi hosts. The ESXi host will then format it with VMFS-3 to then be able to utilize the LUN. I would unbind the LUN and then bind a new lun of the same size in the same location from scratch. Then let ESXi do its magic to it once it is seen by the host in its storage group.

Does this allow for storing guest vm's on a LUN and giving access to the LUN to all VM hosts. If so, how does this work since in a Windows environment only one host can have access to a LUN. I am trying to utilize a LUN on my SAN as the datastore for my VM guests.

Thanks
David

In ESXi, you would need VC Server to manage your shared LUNs. ESXi can be managed by VMWare Virtual Center, but that is how they get you. ESXi is free, but then to share LUNs, add HA or DRS, you need to buy VC Server. The VC is $5K and each license for ESXi is $1600 (1000 license + 600 for 1 year support required) or they have a 3 pack of VC Foundation Licenses for $3800 or so.

so you can't have shared LUNs in ESXi without paying for the VC license + Host licenses.

I may have been incorrect in my statements.

READ: Fibre Channel SAN
Configuration Guide
RE: around page 56
SAN administrators might find it counterintuitive to have multiple hosts see the
same LUNs because they might be concerned about data corruption. However,
VMFS prevents multiple virtual machines from writing to the same file at the same
time, so provisioning the LUNs to all required ESX Server system is appropriate.

My apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back