Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Bad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaySwint

Programmer
Aug 31, 2002
CA
I ahve a Western Digital WD800 hard drive. I just bought it, and installed it in my computer, a AMD XP 1700 with 512 Ram and a 20gig maxtor as my master. I had it all working for a while, windows Xp recognized it and all seemed to be fine. I just tried to open up my partition magic, and it comes up with an error about something being different in the HD and that I could lose information. I have tried to reformat it but it wont let me, and I have tried to set it as a master, with all the jumper settings correct and everything and then it wont recognize it. I ahve tried everything i can think of, is there any other way that I can format this HD? by the way it is a slave drive.

Thanks you very much

Can you see the drive in disk management (run diskmgmt.msc)?
Is the bios still seeing the drive?

WD drives cannot be set to master (by putting jumper on master) unless there is a slave present, they can be set to CS but normally no jumper for master

Western Digital provide a disk diagnosis utility named DataLifeguard which is available for free download.It should be able to tell you what your problem is.Another good utility for partitioning/formatting a secondary drive from within windows is ontrack diskwizard2003,a free version of this software is provided to download from seagate (works on all drives).Hope this is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back