Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial T1 and DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhearn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
CA
Good Morning.

I am "very" new to the data transmission world.
Our office has no IT staff whatsoever, but the board of
Directors want a small presentation on the benefits of using
a partial T1 (512) as opposed to the current DSL we use today to communicate with another of our sites.

Can anyone give me some benefits to moving to a
partial T1 - Frame Relay(512K)?

Thanks.

unless it is a bundle package I would stay with the DSL.
The DSL is probably alot cheaper. If it's not broke don't fixit.

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNP,CCNA Network+
[americanflag]

I would go with a low end Adtran or verilink router for the frame relay connection. Feel free to email me or post here for some model types.

tizzle
joshuatu@yahoo.com

Hello,

I'm currently using a lot of frame relays throughout U.S. to move continuously sent, sensitive information; security and reliability are very important.

I've been told that MPLS is a cheaper and better way to go than frame relay.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but I'd like to get some expert advice on next steps, risks of switching from frame, and advantages MPLS.

Thanks

Benefits of the 512 link:

Bi-directional 512k communication (a lot of DSL has maybe 2Mbps down, 384k up) if that is a big deal to you.

Lower latency typically, depending on the carrier network.

More stable. Response times typically do not vary as much as they can in the internet world. Also a carrier based network is "generally" more stable than an internet link that you may not have any control over in the middle.

More secure. Don't run the risk of a mis-configuration allowing you to be hacked.

Less complex. Don't have to fuss with either security nor VPN and encryption.

Benefits of the DSL:

Cheaper.

Higher bandwidth.

Can be lower latency, depending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back