Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial Shutdown on Restart 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManyHats

Technical User
Nov 16, 2000
US
Ever since installing Windows 2000 Pro (as an upgrade) I have had problems with restart. When I go through the shutdown procedure it cycles through and logs out and shuts down Windows but does not come back up. It also locks out the power button on my CPU and the only way to restart is with the reset button. It was hanging the same way with a full shutdown but I downloaded and installed the SR patch and it corrected that. Any suggestions?

Do you have a UPS on your system? If so, check out Q105241 in the MS KB database.

Did you resolve this issue? I'm having a similiar problem with restart. I can Shutdown and everything works fine when I boot back up in Win2k, but if a Restart Win2k it comes back up and everything appears to work fine until I hit a key on the keyboard. Then my whole system locks up tight. No mouse, no keyboard, no soft-power switch (and I don't even have a reset button). So I must kill the power to my PC to recover.

No it is not resolved. I do not even come back to a Win2k screen. It does lock my power button though. As the user before asked I do not have a UPS system. This problem is driving me crazy!!

I have a similar problem in that I upgraded from ME to 2k and now 2k wont complete a shutdwn or restart, but when Installed fresh 2k shuts down perfectly.

Richard Baker
RFBaker@BTInternet.com

I have the same problem.

When I restart, it goes as far as the "Saving your settings..." window, then goes blank with a flashing cursor in the top corner. The power switch doesn't work, and I have to restart with the Reset switch.
When I shutdown, it does exactly the same. I have to hit the Reset switch, then the Power switch.

I'm running 2000 Pro Service Pack 2 from a clean install.
Be good. If you can't, don't get caught!

I have the same problem with the shutdown except that restarting is fine. When I shutdown my pc, I have to switch the Restart button then hit the Power Switch. It shows the message 'It is now safe to turn off your computer'.

Help!

Or enable the APM behind the Power button of the Screensaver page in your desktop properties [roll2]
HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back