Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial Array into Excel Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

eAlchemist

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
US
I know how to assign a whole array to a range in Excel. Is there a way to assign a contiguos range of values within an array into a range of cells? I know that I can do it with a loop, but I'm wondering if I can do it in one line.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I accidentally listed this in the MS Office forum. Sorry to put it in both, but I don't know how to delete it from the other forum

Hi,

One line...
Code:
for i=0 to ubound(a):cells(i+1,"A").value = a(i):next

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

What I was actually looking for was something that will transfer the array in one operation, not one line. This would still require looping through the array, would it not?

I was thinking something more like the way this works for the whole array:

Code:
Range(Cells(1,1),Cells(Ubound(a,1),Ubound(a,2))) = a

Thanks,
Chris

I'd love for someone to tell me I'm wrong, because directly addressing an array sub-set would be a nice feature, but I don't think VB will allow you to do it.

However, there are at least 2 ways round your problem.

Method 1 - (simple but does not do exactly what you asked)
I think addressing cells in excel is generally slower than addressing elements of an array, so you could:
create an array of the right size to take the chunk you want ot assign to the range,
copy the elements from the original array to the slimmed-down array by looping
assign the smaller array directly to the range.

That ought to be faster than addressing the cells in a loop.

Method 2 - More complicated, but faster if you are working with big arrays.

See This shows you how to use copymem to directly insert / extract sections of arrays using the API. Use it to create your smaller array from the required sub-section, then assign directly to the range as above.

Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back