Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parter Horror

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxx

Vendor
Sep 22, 2006
US
Anyone every get a customer who will not let the professional do what he was hired to do? This doctor and his know it all wife/office manager think they know how to instlal their nre 25 station Partner system.

They insisted I provide them with the install manual and now I am afraid they will fool around with the thing while it is still under warranty and mess it up then call me and blame it on me.

Now they want the access codes for programming. Any horro stories of your own or any suggestions. I am about to tell them to get another vendor.

They are both very insulting and talk down to me as though I am the least important thing in the office that is me and the Partner system

Although I am not a CPE vendor, I would suggest that you do a System Backup with your work. That way, if the customer screws something up, you can do a System Restore to correct any problems they caused and bill them accordingly.

In my opinion, a customer who wants you to be responsible for their screw-ups isn't a customer worth having, unless you are compensated accordingly.

I always backup to my laptop when done, and also keep x-lations on a floppy, this way they can do what they want, if they screw it up ,I can restore back to original in seconds and then charge a service call.

How did they treat you when you were trying to sell the system? As much as I hate to lose a sale, I'd rather walk away then have a disguntled customer.

Thanks for th tips. Yes I will do a dated remote back up.

They were GREAT when I first started then I think when the wife came on the scene and all the money started to add up they got testy.

Pretty much all the other service and equipment vendors from the landlord to the data systems folks even the handyman have had trouble with them.

Thye owe me some money but I think I may cut them loose and just not provide any warranty service.

Its all part ok being in business.Kiss their ass make them happy and hope they pay you.Then sell your next system.

provide them the warranty service if warranteed issue, training, support, normal back ups as, and if you contracted to do.

for what your contract does not specifically cover, bill them time and materials, with standard refusal of additional service if their account is far enough in the rears. you can stipulate in a contract that after so many days in the rears you are no longer liable to provide support including warranty support for issues occurring after an original sign off on completion of the project.

if you contracted to train them to administer their own system then do so. it is common to include some basic system admn training, but this varies by the installer. i usually cover time/date, ringing, adding vm box, etc. i give them the manuals, and quick reference guides for all their components. during training if they are prompt, attentive, and do not walk away during the training time, i will go a bit more in depth as time permits compared to time allocated for training[about 30 minutes for admin]. if they need further training after contractual training is complete, that is billable.

i get a sign off on the installation stipulating completion of install, user/admin/vm training, at which point the free work is done. if they want more i let them know this is billable, but may give them a little more help at no charge after explaining i will not bill them just this once as a curtousy, but additional service will be billable. we in general include one return trip for changes within the first 30 days at no charge, and advise the customer to collect desired changes for one visit to avoid additional charges.

i do mark the pages for programming access, and write their passwords in the manuals where the manual covers accessing the systems. i note on the flow chart page in vm manual their night aa, day aa, other aa's. and the number sequences to reach them.

if they need further help, i will schedule a call asking them to have their manuals i marked on hand for the call. then walk them through the manual which i noted thier paswords, aa's, etc. on during training. if this is to much for them, or lasts more than about 10 minutes i inform them i am going to need to schedule a service call to come out. write a wo with the scope of their needs, and email or fax it to them with a proposed date, and time for your visit. make sure the wo shows the work is billable, and the rate for the service.

They insisted I provide them with the install manual and now I am afraid they will fool around with the thing while it is still under warranty and mess it up then call me and blame it on me.

Now they want the access codes for programming.

I don't see the customers request for manual and program codes to be out of place , I would provide them . ( They should have been given the CD that comes with the ACS at the time of install )

I Evan provide email PDFS of users guides and manuals at Customers request at no charge for those that lost theirs .

partner is not complex enough for the customer to "mess it up "

Well, they paid for the system from you, and the system includes the programming and installations manual. Unless this is a leased system, you have no option other than to give it to them. As far as warranty is concerned, there is really nothing they can do to harm the system physically, which is the only warrantly service offered. Just charge for a service call when they need your help. Simply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back