Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part Remote Admin 5.0 - Tried Everything Still No Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonedr

Vendor
Jun 6, 2002
US
I am using Partner Remote Admin Software, Release 5.0 trying to connect to a Partner ACS 3.0. The system is located about 800 feet from my PC.

From extension 10, I can dial 76 and the modem answers. I can be transferred to 76 and the modem answers.

As soon as I click OK in the remote software, and disconnect the handset from the handset cord, I receive the following error "Connection to the Remote Partner System has been lost"

I have tried placing the Remote Access card in both PC slots, I reassigned the password in #730.

The Partner system has a silver card "Partner Remote Access PC Card". I have tried every modem speed there is from 38400 right down to 1200. What else can be preventing my connection? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Phonedr;
This setup has frustrated a lot of technicians, including myself, but there was success after all. One must, I suspect, be very careful in this setup--modem speeds, physical connection method, sequence of events, etc., can all derail the project with little clue as to the actual error. At this point, one could not say that this is sophicated software.

Here is the setup that finally worked for me:
1) Physical connection is either directly into a port on the module or into the aux jack on a set. This allows the process to proceed without mechanically disconnecting/connecting cables. Mechancial "hand-off" is itself a source of errors.
2) The set must be configured for intercom auto answer, not to pick up an outside line.
3) The intercom tone must be set to regular dial tone sound, to help your modem identify it as dial tone.
4) My modem connections required 1200/4800 baud and nothing faster would work. BTW, I used three different modems on three different PCs: I doubt if this is a modem problem.

With this setup, your modem comes "off-hook" which is the same as the set coming off-hook and the system gives you dial tone for an intercom call. Your modem will dial the number in the Remote Access software that you have input (76). Then it should hand you a connection/password box and you go from there.

Remember it has a security (?) feature that requires you to download a configuration before it will let you upload one.

In all, this software could be more clear in regard to its modem connection and software usage, which is not as intuitive as we have come to expect from other more sophisticated commercial-grade software.

But it is a huge help, IMHO, in that it--at long last--presents you with a screens full of information at one time, instead of trying to program, say, 30 phones with lots of customization (in other words, several hundred settings) all through a tiny LCD display.

Yours,
Mike

what do you mean you disconect the handset from the handset cord, if you are on a station ,dialing into station 76 ,you only need a line cord to your modem

Assign the outside line to a Hunt Group:

From extension # 10 or # 11 enter the “Programming” mode. Press # 206 and enter 6 when prompted for a “Group” number. This is the hunt group we are using for the RAS modem access.
At the request for a “Line” number enter 8, which is the incoming POTS line we are using for RAS.

Program the Hunt Group to ring at the modem:

From extension # 10 or # 11 enter the “Programming” mode. Press # 505 and enter 6 when prompted for a “Group” number. This, again, is the hunt group we are using for the RAS modem acces.
At the request for an “Extention” number enter 76, which is the default port number for the RAS modem.

From extension # 10 or # 11 enter the “Programming” mode. Press – Feature – 0 – 0 – then the left “Intercom” button twice, or the “System Program” button. Then press the right “Intercom” button once, which is also called the “ Central Telephone Program” button.

When prompted for an ‘Extension” number enter the “Set Port Number” that you have the line cord for your laptop modem plugged into. I usually use number 18 for this. So enter 18 and then press the “star” button twice. Then press the right “Intercom” button once. The screen should read “Automatic Line Selection”.
Press the “star” button twice to exit Automatic Line Selection. Press feature – 0 – 0 – to exit programming.

And use the password you should have already set for remote access .and connect if it won't connect then I recomend using a Hayes modem believe it or not usually when all else fails just changing to the hayes modem works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back