Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark2

Technical User
Sep 11, 2006
US
Hi,
Please help me understand what is wrong with this form. I checked all brackets, codes, and everything looks fine but when I click Submit I get the error above saying that there is an error on the line 31. There's nothing on this line on the Code view.

Below is the code:
<?php

/* Subject and Email Variables */

$emailSubject = 'Friday night';
$emailAddress = 'whomever@whatever.org';

/* Gathering Data Variables */

$titleField = $_POST['title'];
$nameField = $_POST['name'];
$jobField = $_POST['job'];
$affiliationField = $_POST['affiliation'];
$contactField = $_POST['contact'];
$descriptionField = $_POST['description'];

$body = <<<EOD
<br>
Presentation title: $title <br>
Name: $name <br>
Job title: $job <br>
Affiliation: $affiliation <br>
Contact information: $contact <br>
Brief description of presentation: $description <br>
EOD;

$headers = "From: $email\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n";
$success = mail($emailAddress, $emailSubject, $body, $headers);

?>

Thanks!

I dont think the (dot) is doing you favours.

I would probably change the $headers line to

Code:
 $headers = "Content-type: text/html\r\n";

I just removed the dot but I am still getting the same error.

The dot is not the problem, if you take it out, you are overwriting the value of 4headers, instead of concatenating the values.

I think the problem may be that your EOD: closing of your heredoc statement has spaces before it.

Make sure EOD; Is the only thing on the line, and has no space or tabs before it in the line, it needs to be flush.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I agree with Phil. the EOD; must be flush with the left hand edge to be a valid heredoc terminator

BINGO! Thanks! I just tried and I can get the e-mail. I am new (actually very very new) to PHP. Now just one more thing. I think I made another mistake. Is there a way for me to get the e-mail address of the people that respond? Or maybe just have their names listed on the "From" field of the message. I don't know what is wrong but I am getting a "Nobody" on my "From".
Just a note that I replaced the correct e-mail address with "whomever@whatever.org" for security purposes.
Thanks again,

that's because you are not setting the $email variable before you use it.

How do I do this?
Should I add a something like this?
$from = "someonelse@example.com";

and then add this field to my form?
Thanks,

if you want to capture the return email address you need to add a field to the form.

you MUST test the email address given to make sure it is a genuine email address and not a hack. do this by a regular expression.

then when you are sure add a header to your email message in the fourth argument in the mail() function.

Code:

Thank you soo much! Have a wonderful weekend!

pleasure - but it was Phil that did the hard-stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back