Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Park/Page and Paging Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

tertel

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
US
Have just installed a MICS 6.1 with T7316E telephones and external paging. The customer parks calls and then uses the softkey to page and the page volume is fine. If the customer just hits the programmed page button the volume on the page is too low. This consistently happens when using the page the two different ways. Aren't the page paths the same and can anything be done so the page volumes are the same?

As far as the paths being the same, it depends how the page button is programmed. Are you onsite hearing this or getting a report from a customer? Are you sure that the page button is programmed to include the external system, and not just the sets, or a different zone of sets?

Page volume is controlled by 2 places:

External paging: adjust the amplifier volume
Internal Paging: Adjust the volume on every telephone set in the page zone WHILE a page is being broadcast.

They are not paging only to the overhead speakers, so I'm not sure what setting the volume on the phones would do. All the page buttons on the phones are programmed to page to the external speakers (we programmed and tested). The volume of the page to the overhead is different depending on if the softkey is used or the programmed page button.

Mistake in my previous post. They are only paging to the overhead and not through the phones.

I think when they hit the park/page soft key they are paging through the phones/ overhead at the same time, and they are not realizing it, which is mistaken for increased volume. The additional volume coming through the sets can be very subtle. Try programming your page key to be all instead of overhead only to see if the volume then equals out.

When using one or the other (softkey or programmed button) one or the other is programmed to page both external and sets. But my guess is its the softkey since you say thats louder. They are probably pressing "both" when given the choice of external, sets, both

This customer does not page to telephones, only the overhead. Only two phones which are in rooms far from the overheads and not near other phones are programmed to receive pages, the system is programmed so that all other phones can page but are not part of a zone. When the customer hits the page button (either the softkey or the programmed key) they are never given a choice for sets, overhead or both. I am stumped.

Did you do what we recommended (programming the page button to hit all?) I know you THINK the phones are not getting paged- but when you come back without saying you tried-… my only further recommendation is that you get a professional out there to look at it.

I have been installing, maintaining and programming the Norstar for over 10 years and have never had this problem which is the reason I'm stumped. All of the other systems I have out there when Park and Page is used the page follows the programming of the telephone system which means if a phone is not part of a page group it does not get the page over the set. In this instance it seems that the 6.1 software is ignoring the programming for the sets which has paging turned off for all sets but 2(I know this is true because not only did I program the system but I have checked this. All the other sets are set to zone none). When the programmed page button (which is programmed for Both)is hit only the overhead and the two sets which are in page zone 1 are activated (which is the way it should be) but the Page softkey, used when Parking, is activating sets that are not part of any page zone. I am assuming that 6.1 does ignore the programming for the sets where page zones are set up and even if a set is not part of a zone it may still page to it. I don't know who the pro is that I'm supposed to get out there since I usually am the one being called to try to fix the problems.

well, you just confirmed what telemarv and myself originally thought:
quote: "but the Page softkey, used when Parking, is activating sets that are not part of any page zone."

So, if you are happy with the volume you get from that soft key, just program your page key to hit all zones and external.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back