Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pardox 7 on W2K 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwallach

Programmer
Nov 21, 2000
US
I'm trying to run P7 on W2K. The problem is that the buttons on the dialog boxes aren't being drawn. I've installed the P7 patches, but no luck. Is there any way that I can get P7 to run on W2K?
Thanks in advance for any help
Rich Wallach

Rich,

There are a couple of things to try:

1. Make sure your video settings are set to at least Hi-Color. I've heard this can happen on cards set to 256 colors.

2. Be sure to install Paradox using the Application Compatibility Tool provided on the Win2K CD. it's part of the Resource Kit. Once you've installed it, you should be able to choose Programs | Windows 2000 Support Tools | Tools | Application Compatibility Tool.

Once that appears:

1. Browse to Paradox or fill in the path to the .EXE.
2. Choose Windows NT4 SP5
3. Choose Make the above check box settings permanent
4. Accept the dialog.

I've heard this can also make a difference regarding the buttons.

By the way, if either of these work, please let us know. I'm trying to collect related information and make sure it gets distributed.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Lance,
I finally got the W2k Resource Kit. It was a comedy of errors. My laptop came with W2K installed, but there licensing agreement w/ MS didn't include a W2k CD in the package. So I ordered the Resource Kit. It arrived warped, but I was able to make a copy on another PC and get it installed.

However, under Program Files | W2K Professional Resouce Kit I don't have any option for Application Compatibility Tool. I have searched the alpha listing of tools included in the kit, but no luck.

Can you point me in the right direction. Will I need to purchase W2K to obtain this tool?

Rich

Rich,

To be perfectly honest; I don't know yet. I don't have a personal copy of Win2K and was only reporting what I've heard on Corel's fora. I'll go see what I can find and reply as soon as possible.

Sorry I don't have it immediately available, but I'll do what I can...

-- Lance

Lance,

I just had the same problem with a client who recently changed to Windows 2000. They use an application I wrote in Paradox 7 and now have an inoperable OK button on a look-up dialog box. Also, the CANCEL and HELP buttons are invisible. They application is on a network.

Now that 2 years have passed since your above message to Rich Wallach regarding the Application Compatibility Tool in the W2K Professional Resouce Kit, is there any updated info that you're aware of that would take care of this problem?

Thanks,

Stan

Stan,

(Yes, this is a duplicate reply; I'm just trying to make sure that the information gets distributed properly.)

FYI, I just stumbled over a couple more tidbits:

1) You can't install at all if you have more than 2GB free on the drive where your temp directory is.

To resolve this, create a new partition that contains 2GB or less, assign it a logical letter, and then set %TEMP% to it. Also make sure this is your private directory in BDE.

2) You have to run apcompat.exe afterwards. You'll find it on the Win2000 CD.

Note that thse probably apply to any 16-bit version of Paradox for Windows.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

You don't have to go as far as resizing or creating partitions. You can run the apcompat.exe program on your Win2000 CD. Found in \Support.

Then, browse to the setup file for Pdox 7, choose Windows NT SP5, then check all the following two checkboxes:

- Use pre-Windows 2000 Temp Path
- Correct disk space detection for 2-GB+ drives.

Then click OK. This will install Paradox 7 on Win2K.

If you continue to have trouble with blank buttons in Pdox 7, see this MS knowledge-base article to run the installed application in compatibility mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back