Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameters limited to 900 characters??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWman

Programmer
Jan 7, 2002
US
I am using VB 2005 to populate a SQL Server 2000 table with text columns and some columns with data type of varchar(1000). The data is inserted via a stored procedure, using several parameters. Everything works fine as long as the parameter strings are <= 900 characters. But, if I try to pass a string > 900 characters, the field will be empty for that record.

I don't see anything in the documentation about maximum sizes for parameters. What's going on?

What client are you using?

it sounds like QA.. but I hate to assume that sort of stuff....

Is it vb with ado 2.1 or rdo or are you using dao...

More info needed...!

Rob

I misdiagnosed the problem. The data was being saved. Since the large columns had many lines (CrLf), I was trying to view them with Enterprise Manager (where the rows can be expanded to view multiple lines). Apparently, EM has a 900 character limit on data it will display (seems to be undocumented). The data does show up in Query Analyzer, but you can't read it.

fyi - using VB 2005, ADO.NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2000.

Always something new to learn...

Thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back