Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter - where to find? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexchen

MIS
Jan 23, 2006
AT
Hi all,

doing Reportstudio-Reports with prompt-pages I created several parameter. Now one of these is corrupt and I tried to find the parameter anywhere in Report Studio. Can anyone tell me how can I view or edit parameters???

Thanks a lot !

Mex

Hi Mex,

In reportstudio click on te filter button. There you can modify your filters. Tip before deleting, set your filter one by one on disabled en run your report, this is a much better way to know which parameter is not working correctly.

Cheers,

MissReportNet

Hi MissReportNet,

thxs - but this is not what I realy meant. I've a parameter not a filter to edit (which of course can be part of a filter and viewed in the left section when you create/edit a filter).

But I don't know how to edit "old" parameters - the only solution I used is a workaround. I created a new one (together with a new prompt) and leave the old parameters unused in the report. But this is not a good solution if you rework your report in a couple of month or a year.

Best Greetings,
Mex

PS: hopefully I used the correct terms/translation, as I use german version of Cognos (Cognos Reportnet 7.1/MSSql)!

Hi Mex,

Parameter is just a place holder, which can be created either through filter definition or the prompt definition.
for example when you say Name = ?xyz? in the filter definition, the xyz is the parameter which is gonna hold the specific value, based on which the report will be filtered.

If you wanna delete a parameter you have to disable or delete the filter definition.

Thanks
anand.

Hi Mexchen,

you have to delete every reference to the old parameter. It is possible that the parameter is used in the expression of an data item or in a filter or it is used from a prompt...

Copy the report to your clipboard and paste it to an editor. In the editor you can search after your parameter and then you should know in which context the parameter is still used.

hope this helps.
kr, timida

Wow great - thanks for the hint!

Searching with an editor i really discoverd one (optional) filter using the parameter. After removal of the filter the annoying parameter was deleted too.

Thanks a lot timida!!!

mex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back