Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parameter value passed to ora_hash 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTnCIS

Programmer
Apr 23, 2002
US
When I create a tableadapter in VS2008 which calls the ora_hash function (oracle 10g db) AND if I pass the password string as a parameter :)password) rather than passing the password as a string ('hrss3k') I get a different hash value than if I execute the same hash statement in oracle.

I get matching hash value from my tableadapter as I get from sql-plus if execute the Tableadapter with a hardcoded password string...

My gut first told me that maybe when I define a parameter :)password) in my table adapter that it might be internally using this as a variant or something that pads with spaces before executing the TableAdapter... but I can't get around that if that is what is happening.

Does anybody have any gut reactions to this that might help me track down a way to figure this out?

I am going to post this same problem in an Oracle forum but I think I might be lucky to find any help on this issue.

Thanks!!!

I get a different hash value than if I execute the same hash statement in oracle.

Are you saying that calling the statement from VB versus the Oracle query tool returns different results?

I don't know much about Oracle, but SQL Server can store unicode and non-unicode strings. And strings in .Net are unicode.

For example, the following code returns different results:

Code:
--non-unicode
SELECT CHECKSUM('hello world')

--unicode
SELECT CHECKSUM(N'hello world')

If my TableAdapter is:

SELECT ora_hash('hrss3k', 1257981, ss.SALT) AS HASH
FROM HR.SEC_SUPPORT ss
WHERE (ss.USER_ID = 'ibt10')

of if my TableAdapter is:

SELECT ora_hash:)password, 1257981, ss.SALT) AS HASH
FROM HR.SEC_SUPPORT ss
WHERE (ss.USER_ID = 'ibt10')

Even if I pass in 'hrss3k' to my TableAdapter, I get different values back from my ora_hash function.

The first example above returns the same hash value as if I ran the statement in Oracle. But the second one, where I pass the password into the TableAdapter does not return the same (although it is always consistent with itself).

The unicode might be a clue, I can try to see if I can force this somehow in Oracle. I think that somehow when I pass the :password into the TableAdapter, that VS is padding it, or converting it to a different char-set, or something but I haven't been able to track that down yet.

Thanks for the reply... let me know if you have any other ideas?

I just ran a test in SQL Server. The first block of code passes in a string literal to SQL Server which results in the hash of the non-unicode string which I posted above.

The second block of code passes in a parameter which is treated as a unicode string and returns the same result as the second code (unicode) I posted above.

The third block of code uses the parameter, but the SQL casts the unicode string to a non-unicode string and returns the same result as the first example (non-unicode) I posted above.

So I'm betting this is your issue.

Code:
        cmd.CommandText = "SELECT CHECKSUM('hello world')"
        cmd.Connection = con
        MessageBox.Show(cmd.ExecuteScalar.ToString)

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT CHECKSUM(@Val)"
        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Val", "hello world")

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT CHECKSUM(CONVERT(VARCHAR(50), @Val))"

I posted that before I saw your reply. See if you can apply my logic in my third block of code from my post above to your Oracle statement. That is, try casting your :password parameter to VARCHAR in the SQL.

Thank you for your replies...

While I was doing my testing I was using the <Query Builder> and <Execute Query> buttons in the Configure Table Adapter window. I would type in my :password string and it would return the result of my query (the hash value) for me to veiw in the query builder.

Based on what you said, I figured I would go a step further and call the table adapter from my login form and just display what was returned from the tableadapter in a textbox... then start trying to cast what I was passing in different ways.

Come to find out, when I call the tableAdapter from within code (rather than using the <Execute Query>) it does return the 'correct' hash value.

I think you are right, unicode might be at the bottom of this. But evidently there is a different in the <Execute Query> and calling the tableAdapter from code?

A mystery I'll have to get back to someday... but it does return the same hash code from code as if I run the statement in Oracle :)

Thanks again
XTnCIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back