Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter selections based on field values

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerbyNeal

Programmer
May 12, 2005
GB
Hi,

Using Crystal v.10

I'm trying to create a series of four parameters based on field values from 'tblMill' a SQL server table (ODBC connection). The fields have a relational hierarchy structure within the table.

The fields are
1. Company
2. Division
3. Site
4. Plant

and I need a parameter for each (All 4 fields hold string values)

If I select the Company parameter, I can select a value held in the Company field (easy). The 'Company' field contains various values
(i.e. ComA, ComB, ComC, ComD etc)

If I select ComB in the Company parameter, I need to display all of the associated values in the Division field in the second parameter.

The Division field holds many values
(i.e. Div1, Div2 Div3, Div4, Div5, Div6, Div7 etc)

However, only some of these are associated with ComB in the tblMill table.
(Div2, Div3, Div5)

Without 'hard-coding' each associated value, is there a way that only the relivant values are displayed in a drop-down box for the Division parameter?

This method needs to be repeated for the Site and Plant parameters.

Thanks in advance,

Not with Crystal 10. Crystal XI will handle this however. No version prior to XI handles dynamic parameters at all.

I believe Ido Millet(one of the experts here) may have a solution for this. Check out
Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Thanks Dave,

I was hoping that I'd be able to over-come this using a formula, but sounds like it's a wild-goose situation without the up-grade.

Thanks again,

Yes, the easiest approach is to upgrade to XI. One thing to watch out for with that approach are cases where higher layers have Nulls in their lower associated layers.

As dgillz indicated above, the other option is to consider a 3rd-party Crystal viewer (see list at: My DataLink Viewer provides dynamic & cascading parameter functionality for earlier versions of Crystal as well.

- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Is there a method of populating the 'discrete value' drop-down box of a parameter using Basic Syntax?

Probably, but this would only be available if you are running the report as a part of the VB project. As a stand alone report run by the crystal report designer or a standard viewer it would not have access to this data.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back