Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parameter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnel

Programmer
Jan 18, 2007
US
Hi all,

I am new to Actaute had have read through the manual and found where/how to create a parameter in the Graphical SQL editor. The only problem I am having is becuase I have entered a parameter into the clause, this basically forces a need to have the parameter entered. For example one of the parameters shoots a 7 digit user id into the where clause, but if someone does not want to have their query limited and leaves it blank nothing is returned. I have tried *, % and . as the defaults. Nothing is working. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

First, what version of Actuate?

Second, are you saying you have created you parameter under tools, parameters, and are now trying associate a field with a parameter?
If So, in conditions (in graphical query) you want the Field to be like the parameter

So the parameter is defaulted to %

In conditions,
select field in column name,
and :parameterName in Query Expression.

I am using Actuate 7. I have created the parameter by using a ":param" in the select statement and then when I view the parameter from the tools menu, I am entering the %, *, etc in the "defaults" box.

thanks,
john

I mean ":param" in the where statement. Sorry for the confusion.

-John

When you state ":param", do you mean that literally (ie with the quotes). If so, dump the quotes. By the way, you haven't got a dash in the parameter name have you (param-name), because to Query Builder that means 'between'

The true name of the param is :project. I figured out the solution. I built a query with a WHEN THEN and the THEN uses a " as a wildcard once the column has been converted.
Thanks!
-John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back