Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter query with date picker and SQL Server backend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkbyte

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
I am trying to run a query from a form with 2 date picker fields for start and end dates and having some problems.

I am getting a datatype conversion error.

Am I missing something? The parameters in the query are defined as Date/Time.

Here is the VBA code.

Code:
Private Sub btnOpneNatSecQuery_Click()
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

'Debug.Print CDate(Me.DTPStart) & " And " & CDate(Me.dtpEnd)

Set dbs = CurrentDb

Set qdf = dbs.QueryDefs("Date Range Pending for National Security with Elapsed Time")
    qdf.Parameters("StartDate") = Me.DTPStart.Value
    qdf.Parameters("EndDate") = Me.dtpEnd.Value

Set rst = qdf.OpenRecordset("Date Range Pending for National Security with Elapsed Time", dbSeeChanges)

StatusBar ("National Security Cases")

'DoCmd.Close acForm, "National Security Query", acSaveNo

qdf.Close
Set qdt = Nothing
Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Here is the SQL code for the query.

SQL:
PARAMETERS StartDate DateTime, EndDate DateTime;
SELECT Activity.ID, Activity.[Login ID], Activity.SEIPrint, Activity.[Start Time & Date], ElapsedTimeString([Activity]![Start Time & Date],Now()) AS ElapsedTime, Activity.[Program Name], Activity.[Contact Name], Activity.[RPC Code], Activity.NatSecButton, Activity.FRCFileButton, Activity.[Digitized File], Activity.[Afile Number], Activity.Memo, Activity.Login1, Activity.[Reason for call], Activity.[Status of Activity]
FROM Activity
WHERE (((Activity.[Start Time & Date])>=[StartDate] And (Activity.[Start Time & Date])<=[EndDate]) AND ((Activity.NatSecButton)=True))
ORDER BY Activity.ID;

and here is the output of the debug.print.

debug.print said:
9/3/2015 5:00:00 AM And 11/17/2015 11:59:59 PM

Thanks

John Fuhrman

I would simply update the SQL of the saved query to avoid the parameters entirely.

Code:
Dim strSQL as String
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Set dbs = CurrentDb
strSQL = "SELECT ID, [Login ID], SEIPrint, [Start Time & Date], ElapsedTimeString([Activity]![Start Time & Date],Now()) AS ElapsedTime, " & _
    "[Program Name], [Contact Name], [RPC Code], NatSecButton, FRCFileButton, [Digitized File], [Afile Number], Memo, " & _
    "Login1, [Reason for call], [Status of Activity] " & _
    "FROM Activity " & _
    "WHERE [Start Time & Date] BETWEEN #" &  Me.DTPStart & "# And #" & Me.dtpEnd & "# AND NatSecButton=True " & _
    "ORDER BY ID; "
Set qdf = dbs.QueryDefs("Date Range Pending for National Security with Elapsed Time").SQL = strSQL
Set rst = qdf.OpenRecordset("Date Range Pending for National Security with Elapsed Time", dbSeeChanges)
[COLOR=#4E9A06]' --- etc ---[/color]

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

For some reason I get a Type Mismatch when compiling on the second equals of this line.

Code:
Set qdf = dbs.QueryDefs("Date Range Pending for National Security with Elapsed Time").SQL [COLOR=#EF2929]=[/color] strSQL

Thanks

John Fuhrman

My bad. I never use querydef parameters.

Code:
Dim strSQL as String
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Set dbs = CurrentDb
strSQL = "SELECT ID, [Login ID], SEIPrint, [Start Time & Date], ElapsedTimeString([Activity]![Start Time & Date],Now()) AS ElapsedTime, " & _
    "[Program Name], [Contact Name], [RPC Code], NatSecButton, FRCFileButton, [Digitized File], [Afile Number], Memo, " & _
    "FROM Activity " & _
    "WHERE [Start Time & Date] BETWEEN #" &  Me.DTPStart & "# And #" & Me.dtpEnd & "# AND NatSecButton=True " & _
    "ORDER BY ID; "
Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbSeeChanges)
[COLOR=#4E9A06]' --- etc ---[/color]

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

No I get an invalid arguement.

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Took the elapsed time portion out of the SQL just in case. But still has the same error.

SQL:
SELECT 
[indent]ID, [Login ID], SEIPrint, [Start Time & Date], [Program Name], [Contact Name], [/indent]
[indent][RPC Code], NatSecButton, FRCFileButton, [Digitized File], [Afile Number], [/indent]
[indent]Memo, Login1, [Reason for call], [Status of Activity] [/indent]
FROM Activity 
WHERE [Start Time & Date] BETWEEN #9/3/2015 5:00:00 AM# And #11/18/2015 11:59:59 PM# AND NatSecButton=True 
ORDER BY ID;

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Just a regular datetime field. (not datetime2)

Thanks

John Fuhrman

A straight copy and paste from the debug.print runs the query just fine.

SELECT ID, [Login ID], SEIPrint, [Start Time & Date], [Program Name], [Contact Name], [RPC Code], NatSecButton, FRCFileButton, [Digitized File], [Afile Number], Memo, Login1, [Reason for call], [Status of Activity] FROM Activity WHERE [Start Time & Date] BETWEEN #9/3/2015 5:00:00 AM# And #11/19/2015 11:59:59 PM# AND NatSecButton=True ORDER BY ID;

Thanks

John Fuhrman

SQL code
SQL:
SELECT Activity.ID, Activity.[Login ID], Activity.SEIPrint, Activity.[Start Time & Date], Activity.[Closed Time & Date], Activity.[Program Name], Activity.[Contact Name], Activity.[RPC Code], Activity.NatSecButton, Activity.FRCFileButton, Activity.[Digitized File], Activity.[Afile Number], Activity.Memo, Activity.Login1, Activity.[Reason for call], Activity.[Status of Activity]
FROM Activity
WHERE (((Activity.[Start Time & Date]) Between #9/3/2015 5:0:0# And #11/19/2015 23:59:59#) AND ((Activity.[NatSecButton])=True))
ORDER BY Activity.ID;

VBA for the form.

Code:
Private Sub btnOpneNatSecQuery_Click()
Dim strSQL As String
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Set dbs = CurrentDb

strSQL = "SELECT ID, [Login ID], SEIPrint, [Start Time & Date], " & _
    "FROM Activity " & _
    "WHERE [Start Time & Date] BETWEEN #" & Me.DTPStart & "# And #" & Me.dtpEnd & "# AND NatSecButton=True " & _
    "ORDER BY ID; "

Debug.Print strSQL

Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbSQLPassThrough, dbOptimistic)

StatusBar ("National Security Cases")

End Sub

debug.print output said:
SELECT ID, [Login ID], SEIPrint, [Start Time & Date], [Program Name], [Contact Name], [RPC Code], NatSecButton, FRCFileButton, [Digitized File], [Afile Number], Memo, Login1, [Reason for call], [Status of Activity] FROM Activity WHERE [Start Time & Date] BETWEEN #9/3/2015 5:00:00 AM# And #11/19/2015 11:59:59 PM# AND NatSecButton=True ORDER BY ID;

I have changed the resultset to

Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbSQLPassThrough, dbOptimistic)

From

But this doesn't change the errors. (Invalid Argument) Run-time Error 3001

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Nope, took memo out and still have the same issue.

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Took the where clause and order by out as well and still get the invalid argument.

I am at a loss.

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Well I might agree with that but, I commented out the entire WHERE clause and ORDER BY, and get the same invalid argument.

Thanks

John Fuhrman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back