Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter Incorrect error after installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
After installing a 60gb HDD and putting WinXP pro on it, I found I wasn't able to access a lot of the stuff on my old 10gb HDD (Which had WinME on it).
When I tried to access the things I wanted, like "My Documents", I received an error message along the lines of:

Unable to access F:\My Documents - Parameter is incorrect

I checked the disk for errors, selecting both:
"Auto fix system errors" & "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"
Since that, I haven't even been able to view the files that I couldn't access, yet the HDD still reads as being nearly full in My Computer.

There is stuff I desparately need on that HDD!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if I could guess at what your problem is I would say:

1) (most likely) You need to change your 2nd hard drive from a primary drive to slave. This can most likely be done by changing the dipswitch in the back. Or, if its BIOS based you would change the category of that drive to slave. There is probably a third switch setting for C-select, but I havent had any experience with that kind of setup

2) (not sure because I dont use XP) Perhaps windowsXP, because of its user system, doesn't think that you have the proper rights to view the files on that drive.

As you can see the drive in "MY COMPUTER" then the drive settings are okay

on an IDE cable you can install TWO devices per channel one being primary one being slave. if both are set to primary or slave the bios simply wont find the drives

Win9X/ME ect use the FAT16/32 tables thay are totaly incompatable with XP. At XP set up you sould have inported your files from drive "F:" so if you find a file you need on drive "F:(WinME Drive") it will not open the app as it did when you were running ME from XP open the app frist Ie word and from File Menu OPEN the doc you need by using Browse or path name F:/windows/Program Files/msword/......

I will find out if there are any better ways for you and post it asap

legend2b4@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back