Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter in SQL for Access ADODB

Status
Not open for further replies.

HobbitK

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
Hi everyone ...
I am using an ADODB connection in a .BAS module(it accepts a strSQL as its' input) to run a simple select statement on an Access DBase. I use the return to dynamically add Option buttons and name them according to the business names returned.
That works great, but when I try to pass the .BAS procedure a different SQL statement, it does not return any records.
Here is the calling code ...
Private Sub Option1_Click(Index As Integer)

Dim strCoName As String
Dim strSQL As String

strCoName = Option1(Index).Caption
strSQL = "Select * From Suppliers where CompanyName = '" & strCoName & "'"
modTestConnect.ConnectToDBase (strSQL)
MyRS.Fields.Item("Dropped").Value = True
MyRS.Update

End Sub

The original SQL that works is ...
strSQL = "SELECT CompanyName FROM Suppliers WHERE dropped = false;"
The only difference I see is the second SQL does not have the ; at the end. Could that be the problem? If so, where do I include it?

Your current code limits you down to whichever company is in strCoName, and then assumes that a valid record is returned.

You should always check the bof and eof properties of a recordset before trying to do anything with a recordset returned from a "Select".

With all due respect, I think you should perhaps read a tutorial about using ADO - there are many on the internet. Try using Google.

mmilan.

HobbitK,
As far as I know, when sending SQL statements to Access DBs you have to end the statement with a ; for it to process. To answer your question, you would include it after the strCoName.

Mystic1112

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back