Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter Based on Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

66tigger40

Technical User
May 26, 2004
GB
Hi

It is possible to have a parameter based on a formula created on a report?

What I would like to do is pull the values from the formula so that users can select one from the parameter?

Thanks

Ralph

Are you saying you want the formula to populate the pick list? Or do you want to set the formula equal to the parameter value?

-LB

Hi

I want to populate the pick list with the formula

Hope that makes sense?

When I go into Paramaters and select field it only shows Tables/Fields not the formula fields on the report

Thanks

Ralph

You could either create a static picklist by running a separate report that uses the formula, exporting that to tab-separated text, removing the quotes through find and replace and then importing that document to populate the pick list, or depending upon your version and the nature of the formula, you could incorporate the formula in a command that you then use to populate a static or dynamic pick list.

For more help, please identify your version and show the content of the formula you want to use.

-LB

Hi

Its version XI and it just a concatenation field for First and Last Name - a command would be best but i'm not sure how to do these?

Any help greatly received

Ralph

It depends upon your datasource. If you were using Oracle, it would look something like:

select "table"."firstname"||' '||"table"."lastname" "Name"
from "table"

You create the command by going to database->database expert->your datasource->add command and enter it there.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back