Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallels Desktop for MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml2665

Vendor
Mar 8, 2005
GB
anyone have opinions on this product?
as a recent convert to the MAC platform I find I now need to used some Linux and XP stuff. This product touts the simplicity without BootCamp dualbooting the machine so I thought about giving it a try.

It's brilliant.
Coherence mode is just amazing.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

I agree with Foamcow. Just loaded XP and love it in coherence mode. runs great with no slow downs on my imac.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

if you run dual display, coherence is so-so and expose doesn't work with cohernece, all of your windows apps will stay clusterd.

other than that, Parallels is amazing.

Robert Liebsch
Systems Psychologist,
Network Sociologist,
Security Pathologist,
User Therapist.

I didn't have a problem with expose, though I didn't try it dual display.
It worked great on my Macbook, but isn't currently installed so I can't test it at the moment.

thanks all, but I assume you all were using XP or some other flavor of MS stuff, anyone possibly using Linux with this?

[slight highjack] If I ran this could I VPN to the office from within the XP running in parallels?[highjack]

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I should think so Fee

Ta. (It'd still make me feel dirty though!)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

VPN yes. I do it all the time. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of stuff at my job that requires Windoz access.

Fee, Coherence mode lets you run windows apps on your mac desktop. You can have a mix of things running on the same screen at the same time. It really is amazing.

I combined it with a mutiple desktop tool and set up a mix of windows/osx and mixed desktops depending on what I was doing.

Worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back